Painted And Piping ?'s

Decorating By doreen1092 Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm by NatalieMarie

doreen1092 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreen1092 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 4

I really would like to try painting a cake,but I need to know what is usually used to paint the cakes (fondant) and if you are to mix the colors with vodka or is there a food safe one you can use straight from the bottle.Mixing the color with vodka seems to dilute the color.I would also like to get a good recipe for piping ,I can never get the right consistancy.Thanks for your help. icon_razz.gif

3 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 4

Have you tried Americolor? Their color is so strong! It's amazing. I actually use Everclear and then the color that I need. I just put a couple of drops of the everclear in. That could be why you are seeing it dilute too much as well.

Good luck!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 4

Sometimes I paint with airbrush color or petal dusts mixed with booze.

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 4

Hi,

I always paint with the dust colours mixed with vodka, but you can use whatever clear alcohol you have to hand. I have also seen that Mich Turner uses cocoa butter instead of alcohol, but I have't gotten around to trying that yet.

For piping onto fondant I always use royal icing. It's important to get the quantities right for measuring so don't use cups to measure the ingredients. It's very important that your equipment is very clean and completely free of grease before you make your icing or it will collapse. I always use a specific bowl for making my icing. My royal icing recipe is this:

1 lb icing sugar (about 500g)
3 teaspoons powdered egg white/meringue powder
60-70 ml cold water

Sift half the icing sugar into a clean grease free bowl and add the powdered egg white. Add the water and mix just until the ingredients have been incorporated. Slowly add the icing sugar, a couple of tablespoons at a time mixing inbetween. Add a few drops of water if your icing is too hard. The icing should look glossy and hold a firm peak.

For piping lettering you need a soft peak for your icing. For piping shells etc, you need a medium peak.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%