Subbing Gumpaste For Fondant?

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 5:31pm by Rose_N_Crantz

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a train cake today and I was going to cover the board with green fondant, maybe lay down some tracks around the train. However, when I measured out how much fondant I'm going to need and ordered it, I forgot to account in for the amount needed to cover the board.

Sigh. . .

So my question is has anyone ever used gumpaste to cover a cake board? I don't have time to go get more fondant and tint it, then I saw my half package of gumpaste left in my cupboard. Would this work ok? I was thinking it would but wanted to ask the more experienced cakers on here.

3 replies
TOMAY Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 4

I think if you mix the two together you will be fine

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 4

But that's the thing, I'm not sure if I'll have enough leftover fondant to do 50/50.

My thought process was that since my board is completely stiff (a piece of cardboard over a wooden board) that using gumpaste would be fine since it won't bend. And I'll have another cardboard between the cake and the board, so no chance of it getting gooey from the cake. My only other concern is that the gumpaste is going to start to dry and there might be some areas that dry faster and then the color will be a little uneven. I noticed that as I was drying a gumpaste bow for another cake. Only I had enough time with that cake to let the bow dry completely.

Is the drying thing going to be a big issue?

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 4

Nevermind everyone! Crisis averted! I think I will have enough fondant left over for the board.

I think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%