Heated Debate Between Hubby And Me Over Pricing!

Business By melhoneybee Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 8:56am by SandraVB79

melhoneybee Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 33

So ladies, I am having a hard time because I have recently revamped my pricing to accommodate carved and 3-D style cakes (so I am not stuck working for nothing!) and anyway, just for reference, I have attached a picture of one of the lovely CC ladies cakes on here of a guitar. To make something of this nature with my new pricing I would charge $420 (70 servings). Hubby thinks I am CRAZY! What would YOU charge?? Thanks so much for the help gals!
LL

32 replies
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 33

Most men have no clue when it comes to food. To them, it's "just a cake".

Does he say what he thinks it would be worth? That would give you an good insight into his line of thinking.

I guarantee you, if he was restoring a car, or building furniture in his woodshop, he'd be putting a high value on the "art" side of his labor! icon_twisted.gif

you might break it down for him. Ask him FIRST, 'How much do you think my time is worth per hour?" (If he gives you a minimum wage number, then you have a whole NUTHER argument going! icon_lol.gif ). And listen, $10/hour is NOT a fair wage for this kind of talent. I START my billing at $25/hour for anything I or my staff do.

How many hours would you spend on a cake like this? From making the shopping list, to going to buy it, to mixing, baking, cleaning, carving, icing, fondant work, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning? Times the rate that HE said you are worth.

Family .... especially most husbands .... have no clue.

Cake_Bliss Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 33

You did an awesome job on this! Looks like a real gibsonicon_smile.gif I am not sure of pricing but had to give you props on an awesome cake!

DefyGravity Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 33

Is he the one making it? No? Well then he doesn't get to have an opinion on the price.

indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 33

Oh another thought. What does he spend on things he enjoys? I could never imagine paying the fees that guys pay just to play golf. Can't imagine that chasing a ball around on a big yard in the hot sun would be "worth" those kind of prices.

But people pay it because THEY see the value in it.

My husband is a wood worker. Fortunately, he's married to a woman who understands the value of having good tools. He paid over $50 for ONE saw blade once. Well worth it, if you understand woodworking. But to the person who just wants to hack thru a piece of wood, that is a STUPID price to pay for a blade!

Doug Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 33

hubby should just be quite.

that's a lot of work.

heck even minimum wage is now $7.25/hour!

-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 33

$6 per is very much in the ball park. Nothing doubting.

That is a huge cake in that picture.

Me I would go $5 a serving for a laying down 2-d kinda scuplture like that.
The neck looks like it is also laying down--if there was more gravity defiance I'd up the price.

For a 3-d I go $6 & up per serving.

We're $3.50 for buttercream and $4.50 for fondant in this area.

Give or take.

Has your husband tried to make one of these?

LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 33

Unless Your Husband (and no disrespect to your husband) is the one making the cake, you should tell him he'll never understand the pricing. Have him go woth you through the entire process, from purchase to labor, and he may understand then.

Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 33

I am very lucky..Hubby understands perfectly what it takes to do a cake like this..He is behind me saying charge more!!

peg818 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 33

And to think i'm ready to have my hubby price my cakes, cause i'm always to low.

That being said, i think you are right on the money with the price.

And for a bit of reference i just had the ac guys here the other day, cost me 180 for them to blow out a clogged pipe. Just called the appliance repair guy for my washer, he gets 110 to just come look at the washer, then its 120 plus parts for anything he touches.

After talking to him i have figured i really have to rethink what i'm worth.

chachagyrl22 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 33

How much does he think that you should charge? Does he know the process?

melhoneybee Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:14pm
post #12 of 33

Thanks for all the encouragement ladies! It's hard sometimes trying to price what I think MY time is worth and having hubby not agree. icon_sad.gif He actually said "well these people only need 50 servings, but that cake is 70...why don't you go ahead and just charge them for 50? It's not like the extra 20 servings cost you much! icon_surprised.gif BTW the "extra" 20 servings of cake are the entire neck of the guitar! lol

This cake is NOT mine btw! This was just hypothetical for something as a reference because I have yet to make one myself....

The other thing I was wondering about all you lovely ladies is when it comes to your pricing, does your base price include most decor?? Basically what I have been doing is saying "here are my base prices for each of these mediums (buttercream, fondant, carved, carved and fondanted) and then ANY additional detail are charged additionally based on complexity, time and supplies". Would you all say that your "base" prices for each medium cover most decorating too?? I ask because Kiddiekakes said that $5 a serving is what she would charge. Well, wouldn't you know it, $5 a serving IS what I charge for this style too, HOWEVER, my current pricing chart has that whole ANY extra detail is charged additionally thing....is it more customary to simply to have it all under the one range?? I hope I am making sense! lol

Thanks so much for helping my head to make sense again! hehe

Doug Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupcakenameddesire

He actually said "well these people only need 50 servings, but that cake is 70...why don't you go ahead and just charge them for 50? It's not like the extra 20 servings cost you much!

relay this to him:

yesterday I had to replace the switch on the bedroom light (pull chain type on a ceiling fan)

ok.....trott off to Lowes....

shoppity shop (takes like 3 aisles to find all the parts!)

so I need 2 of those little twist caps for connecting wires.

Hmmm...the smallest bag has 25 in it for $2.45 - so, about 10 cents each.

ok...dare him--- take the bag to the checkout and tell them he's only going to pay 20cents for the bag since he only needs 2.

ok...you can stop laughing now.

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

And for a bit of reference i just had the ac guys here the other day, cost me 180 for them to blow out a clogged pipe. Just called the appliance repair guy for my washer, he gets 110 to just come look at the washer, then its 120 plus parts for anything he touches.

Going OT here, but as long as you can see the drain hole in the drain pan, you can usually unclog the pipe yourself. There's a little plastic strip you can buy at Home Depot or in the plumbing department at Walmart. It's about 2 feet long with sharp plastic teeth on it and a hole for your finger at one end. Stick it down the drain pipe, wiggling it to get it around corners, then pull it out. It will bring out the slime that grows in AC drains. After that, once a month pour a cup of bleach down the drain hole and it will keep your line clear. The plastic strip works on bathroom sinks and shower drains too but not on the toilet or kitchen sink. icon_biggrin.gif It costs about two dollars.

OhMyGanache Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #15 of 33

If he doesn't think it's worth that much - he doesn't have to buy one from you. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #16 of 33

I think your price is right on target. Plus delivery.

Barb00 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #17 of 33

Well, my hubby I am certain would say, the more $$ you can get, the better!! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #18 of 33
Quote:

He actually said "well these people only need 50 servings, but that cake is 70...why don't you go ahead and just charge them for 50? It's not like the extra 20 servings cost you much!

"Hey, KFC? You have an 8 pc bucket and a 16 pc bucket. But I only need a 12 pc bucket. So I only have to pay for the 12 pcs and you'll throw in those extra 4 pcs right?"

Yeah ..... THAT'LL work! icon_confused.gif

cylstrial Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

"Hey, KFC? You have an 8 pc bucket and a 16 pc bucket. But I only need a 12 pc bucket. So I only have to pay for the 12 pcs and you'll throw in those extra 4 pcs right?"

Yeah ..... THAT'LL work! icon_confused.gif

I love your reasoning! You just have something great to say about everything! icon_biggrin.gif

TOMAY Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #20 of 33

so just as a fun little thing I turned to my husband and asked him the same question , his reply no less than $1000 dollars period! LOL I guess my hubby wants money . Here in the south were I am I could prob go 5 dollars a serving with my area though no one would order one just to much . For your area I think you are priced right on target

newmansmom2004 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:07pm
post #21 of 33

I'm with you on the pricing. I charge $25/hour for carved cakes regardless of how many servings. My time is worth more than what most people would consider "reasonable" (translation = cheap). If I'm gonna put my time and effort into making something I'd be proud of, I'm getting a fair wage for it.

Take your hubby on an online visit to some of the more well-known cake decorators and let him see their pricing. Then he'll tell you you're not charging enough! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:28am
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Take your hubby on an online visit to some of the more well-known cake decorators and let him see their pricing. Then he'll tell you you're not charging enough! icon_biggrin.gif

Ironically, I just created, 2 days ago, a 2-page document that I'm now sending out with my introductory email to brides. It's called "How much are those cakes on TV?" and I've cut-n-pasted info from Buddy's, Duff's, Colette's, Toba's websites. It shows brides $8/$15 per serving and it shows the $1000 minimum that Duff and Colette have.

I figure it will give a dose of reality to 'em as they're in shopping mode. I also added something to my FAQ page.

If anyone is interested in a copy, just email me (that's email ..... NOT a PM) and I'll happily share.

xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:59am
post #23 of 33

I don't see what he's complaining about. Isn't the $$ going into your bank account????

indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:04am
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

I don't see what he's complaining about. Isn't the $$ going into your bank account????

Maybe that's the problem. If she's like me, my cake money goes into MY bank account! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #25 of 33
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Ironically, I just created, 2 days ago, a 2-page document that I'm now sending out with my introductory email to brides. It's called "How much are those cakes on TV?" and I've cut-n-pasted info from Buddy's, Duff's, Colette's, Toba's websites. It shows brides $8/$15 per serving and it shows the $1000 minimum that Duff and Colette have.

Looks like us Indiana gals think alike! OK, so I live in TX now, but I was an Indiana girl for 20 years. That's a great idea to have that available for brides-to-be. Puts some perspective on the subject.

melhoneybee Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:36am
post #26 of 33
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Maybe that's the problem. If she's like me, my cake money goes into MY bank account! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

HAHA! SO true! lol! I just love you gals! Always good for a laugh! LOL Some really awesome points to bring up too! I too (like Debi) don't believe in that whole "pricing in a small town" theory. The clients who want to have a cool custom cake find me! It really doesn't matter where you are! And to be honest, I would MUCH rather have even as little as a few large cake orders per month rather than have a truck load of itty bitty orders! And you KNOW there ain't NO WAY I"m workin' for nothin'! Self-esteem girls! Vitally important int his biz, or the customers (or the hubbys! lol) will walk all over us! icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Going OT here, but as long as you can see the drain hole in the drain pan, you can usually unclog the pipe yourself. There's a little plastic strip you can buy at Home Depot or in the plumbing department at Walmart. It's about 2 feet long with sharp plastic teeth on it and a hole for your finger at one end. Stick it down the drain pipe, wiggling it to get it around corners, then pull it out. It will bring out the slime that grows in AC drains. After that, once a month pour a cup of bleach down the drain hole and it will keep your line clear. The plastic strip works on bathroom sinks and shower drains too but not on the toilet or kitchen sink. icon_biggrin.gif It costs about two dollars.

Thanks for the tip, but i didn't even know that was what was wrong with it. I had freaked when i had water running down the side of furnace with electrical wires right there.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:42pm
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

relay this to him:

yesterday I had to replace the switch on the bedroom light (pull chain type on a ceiling fan)

ok.....trott off to Lowes....

shoppity shop (takes like 3 aisles to find all the parts!)

so I need 2 of those little twist caps for connecting wires.

Hmmm...the smallest bag has 25 in it for $2.45 - so, about 10 cents each.

ok...dare him--- take the bag to the checkout and tell them he's only going to pay 20cents for the bag since he only needs 2.

ok...you can stop laughing now.

Excellent, as usual, Doug. madhatter.gif

SHogg Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #29 of 33

I have the opposite problem, my Hubby always yells at me that I underprice my cakes!

Marianna46 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:39pm
post #30 of 33

Lucky you, SHogg. I don't have a husband to make snide comments, but now that I'm fixing to turn pro, my friends and family have taken care of that by chiming in with stuff like "Nobody's going to pay THAT for a cake!", "Are you kidding me?" or, since I live in Mexico "¿Que qué?". icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif . I just keep repeating to myself what Kevin Costner kept hearing in Field of Dreams, "Build it and they will come...".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%