How Do I Get The Wood Grain Look On Fondant??

Decorating By Tania2009 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 11:49am by robbie33

Tania2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tania2009 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a old wood bucket cake and wanted to know the best way to get the wod grain look. The panels of the bucket on the outside of the cake is made out of gumpaste???

This cake is due tonight!!!

Thanks

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 10

Usually you use a knife to cut grooves into it to make the wood grain. If it's already dry that won't work, so try painting it on with some brown gel color thinned with vodka or an extract.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 10

Mix some brown color with either vodka or lemon juice (high alcohol content) and just brush it on your gumpaste with a stiff brush. Take a toothpick or something and stick it a few times to look like nailholes. Works great.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 10

Marble together brown and white fondant/gumpaste. Cut out your panels for the bucket and lightly cut (do not go all the way through) scores into the board to get the grain look. Use a toothpick to make nail holes like the PP said. Mix about 1/4 tsp brown food coloring and 1/4 cup vodka and paint onto your boards. I would put your boards onto your cake first before you painted them since it's due tonight. It will be a lot cleaner this way. If you had an extra day or two I would say paint them first then apply to cake.

Good luck and have fun! I love the wood technique! It looks so neat! icon_smile.gif

jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 10

I had a small wood panel sign on the tiki cake I did, and I cut out brown fondant a little jagged to make it look like an old sign. and then just ran a knife inlines but not going all the way through the fondant. Then poked it a couple times to make the wood look more aged. It turned out really good in my opinion, for not knowing exactly how i was going to make it. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeladyde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyde Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 10

I usually color fondant a light brown, roll it, then cut lines into (depending on how wood grain you want) and then paint on as other described using brown gel thinned with vodka. Good luck

cupcakeryonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeryonline Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:19am
post #7 of 10

just to add ...after the "paint" has started to set (like a minute or 2) I liketo go over it again with a stiff brush. This makes it look really grainy and authentic.

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:28am
post #8 of 10

You can order an impression mat on Global Sugar Art:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16677

HTH

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:46am
post #9 of 10

Your best option at this stage is paint it on as mentioned with alcohol in various degrees of colour depth.

For future cakes you should definately make the indentations /lines for your wood whilst it is still soft. You can then paint it up afterwards.

Hope it worked out for you. I have attached a picture of something similar if did but put the lines in the fondant and painted it after it had dried.

Hope this helps.

Kim
LL

robbie33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbie33 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:49am
post #10 of 10

I did planks on a pirate ship for my son. I actually had an old barn wood frame and I took an impression from it on sculpey clay. I cut it in the shape i needed (plank) I cooked it and then made a reverse inpression from that. All I had to do was press my fondant in that to get my my planks. Got any old wood?

Good luck
Robin

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%