Storing Buttercream And Fondant

Decorating By liha21 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm by liha21

liha21 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 7

I am wondering about freezing buttercream and fondant. Is there already a post on here somewhere that has the shelf lives of these items? I'm pretty sure I can freeze buttercream, but not sure about the fondant.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 replies
sambugjoebear Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 7

You can freeze buttercream for 2-3 months. Fondant I would not freeze. You can store fondant wrapped in plastic wrap and inside a freezer bag sitting on your shelf. It will be good for a few months storing this way. Makes it easy for me, bc when I have a big project I always save my MMF scraps for when I only need a little bit of that color (i.e. black, red) that way I don't have to make a new batch just for a small amount. It tastes fine too icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 7

I beleive you can freeze fondant as well, though I have not tried it yet. I know you can freeze buttercream. Just throw it back in the mixer for a few spins to fluff it back up after it thaws.

liha21 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 7

Thanks guys. I need to start freezing my leftover buttercream of different colors, that will help me out tons for when I only need a little of a color of bc. Will do that with the fondant too. Thanks.

xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:59am
post #5 of 7

Yes you can freeze fondant (at least the one I make you can - Michele Foster's Fondant - MFF) and yes to the bc as well.

kaddikakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:43am
post #6 of 7

Can I store the fondant in the refrigerator? I bought the Wilton brand used a little bit . . i covered the leftover that I covered in plastic wrap, kept the unused part in the package it came in then put both in a tupperware container in the referator . . .is this okay. Then how long do I let it sit out so I can use again.

liha21 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 7

was also wondering if anyone knows if you can freeze gumpaste? What is the shelf life of it at room temp, in fridge, freezer? I know it's not hard to make but I have a hard time waiting the whole day for it to set up, i'm to impatient.

Quote by @%username% on %date%