Mixing Two Types On Fondant....my Experience.

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm by pjaycakes

JCE62108 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 2

I never really got any answers at all on my question about mixing two different types of fondant. So the time came to do this cake and I decided to go for it.

My problem was that I liked the taste of MMF, but didnt like the unreliability. I had read that Michele Foster's fondant was 100% reliable...but usually regular fondant recipes dont taste great, so I was wondering if I could mix the two to get a fondant that tasted good, but handled better.

I mixed up a batch of Michele Foster's fondant, well, a half batch. I didnt like the taste at all. Better than commercial fondant, but still like eating a spoonfull of PS. I mixed up some MMF. The two textures were totally different. When I tried to mix the two it was weird because the MMF was stretchy and soft and the other was very stiff in comparison. But eventually I got them kneaded in together.

The fondant had no bubbles (my big problem with MMF) and it tasted better than straight MMF, IMO. It handled more like Michele Fosters fondant. Very stiff in comparison. It was shiner like MMF.

I would do this again though. I did get the result I wanted. Just wanted to let you guys know that this was possible since it seems no one had experince doing this.

Also I had a question. How can I make Michele Fosters fondant a little more pliable? More glycerin? Corn syrup? I had a little bit more difficulty smoothing it and got a few tiny folds no matter how much I tried to work with it. I guess Im just too used to MMF. That stuff is super stretchy. icon_smile.gif

Ill post the cake I did.
LL

1 reply
pjaycakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 2

Glad it worked out for you. It is a very pretty cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%