How Do I Get A "burnt" Effect On A Dragon Cake?

Decorating By MissCallie Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 5:14pm by PinkZiab

MissCallie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCallie Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:19am
post #1 of 4

I am making a puff the magic dragon cake, and the plan is to have a mini birthday cake in the curl of his tail, but I want the top of the cake/candles to look as if they have been burned, like he blew the candles out a little too hard icon_wink.gif Does anyone have any ideas of what I could dust on to the fondant that would make it look like soot?? THanks!! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:51am
post #2 of 4

You can melt some marshmallows around the intended "burnt" area then take a small blow torch (like the kind in creme brulee kits) and toast the marshmallows until they get that dark brown color.

But...that might work best on a cake covered in white fondant or white buttercream so the white marshmallows can blend in.

You can also pre-melt the candles so some of the wax dribbles on the cake. I'd be curious to see what other folks come up with. I'm a total novice, but that's all I could come up with.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 4

they did something similar on Ace of Cakes recently -- only it was the bride and groom topper --- dragon had "eaten" half of the topper and left burnt stump of the legs.

do as Ingo said --- make it out of what ever. The bring on the blow torch and burn it until you're happy with the look.

I would however, burn the cake separately and then place it into the crook.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 4

I would use a torch... then again I look for any reason to whip out the mapp gas lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%