How Many Cake Pans Can You Fit In Your Oven?

Decorating By Motta Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm by beachcakes

Motta Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:33am
post #1 of 23

...and what size, of course! Just comparing my oven to others.

22 replies
sambugjoebear Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 23

Using just one rack, in the middle position:

1- 12x18
3- 8" rounds
4- 6" rounds
1- 10" round/square
1- 12" round/square

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 23

I bought a new oven about 8 months ago, and I can get more in it than in my old one. I will mention that I opted for a non-convection oven since the fan sticks out of the back and I figured it would make more sense for my needs to have the room rather than the convection part. (Yes, yes, I know, but I don't care about the convection part of it so much.) The insulation is apparently better in the new ones, so the walls don't have to be as thick and there's more interior space.

My old oven was about 16" deep and 18" across, and the new one is 16" deep and 20" across, so I can get more pans in side-to-side. It makes baking everything off a lot faster. I used to bake from about 7am to 2pm, now it goes until noon and I'm done.

Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 23

Well..I have 2 racks so I can get about 2-3 cakes...small ones like 8 or 10 and maybe 1 big one like a 9x13 or so..Whatever I can fit in..I just have a regular convection oven..not a commercial one.

Loucinda Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 23

When we remodeled last year, I bought the biggest oven I could find (non commercial) it was an LG. It has the convection feature, and I can rack 'em and stack 'em in it! The biggest round I can fit is a 16" and because of the convection - I can load all 3 shelves completely and I LOVE IT. I think it is 6.4 cu. ft. of space (?)

Motta Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:05am
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambugjoebear

1- 12x18
3- 8" rounds
4- 6" rounds
1- 10" round/square
1- 12" round/square

OMG - you must have a commercial oven. I'm so jealous. Last night my kitchen oven conked out and I had to make 2 8' rounds in the toaster oven. Took forever....

Motta Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:06am
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

When we remodeled last year, I bought the biggest oven I could find (non commercial) it was an LG. It has the convection feature, and I can rack 'em and stack 'em in it! The biggest round I can fit is a 16" and because of the convection - I can load all 3 shelves completely and I LOVE IT. I think it is 6.4 cu. ft. of space (?)

I'm embarassed to ask but.....does convection make it easier to cook a number of these cakes? I thought it just cooked food faster.

jamison3boys Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:20am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

Quote:

1- 12x18
3- 8" rounds
4- 6" rounds
1- 10" round/square
1- 12" round/square

OMG - you must have a commercial oven. I'm so jealous. Last night my kitchen oven conked out and I had to make 2 8' rounds in the toaster oven. Took forever....

i'm fairly certain that she means she can fit 1-12x18 OR 3-8" rounds OR 4....so on, not everything at once. icon_smile.gif

Motta Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:25pm
post #9 of 23

Oh, yeah....that would make more sense! icon_redface.gif I'm being my usual ditzy self.

Loucinda Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 23

With my oven, the convection feature makes it so that all the cakes will bake evenly even when the oven is completely full. It does not bake any faster IMO. I also put a small pan of water in the bottom of the oven so that the tops of the cakes are not hard. Yesterday I baked 2 - 9x13, 2 - 10" rounds, 2 - 6", and one 10"square....all at the same time. (and I could have still fit another small cake in there too)

matthewkyrankelly Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 23

Sorry to but in,

On one rack, I can put in a half sheet, or three 8" rounds etc.

I have convection and have been skittish about caking with it. I don't like how cookies come out with it. Roasts and all things crispy some out wonderful.

However, most of my cake baking is needed for an event and I can't risk it.
So, you just load it up and put a pan of water in the bottom and everything is OK?

Any other tips?

Marianna46 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:04pm
post #12 of 23

For the amount of baking I do, I must have the world's smallest oven: it has four burners on top with no room for anything else! I can't even fit a decent sized cookie sheet in it (no problem there: I hardly ever do cookies). But a 12" round or square is about the max. I can only use one shelf, becuase the other one is too close to the flame. So a lot of my stuff has to be done one layer at a time. The largest cake I've made in this gem was a three-tier (12" square, 10" round and 8" round). I had to do the six layers one at a time. I'll be moving within the year, though, and the one thing I'll be looking for is a normal oven. And one of these days, (ahem, when the dough starts rolling in from my cakes), I'll be installing a commercial oven. If this is a test of how much I love doing this, I guess that at least I know I'm in it for the long haul. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Loucinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:16am
post #13 of 23

My oven also has the feature that it automatically reduces the temperature by 25 degrees. (if I set it at convection bake for 350, it automatically will go to 325) I bake USUALLY at 325 (so it goes to 300) I didn't care for the "crust" that the cake had on top, and Indy told me to put a small pan of water in the bottom - that fixed it. I now load it up and go. I am so used to it now, I can pretty much tell by the smell if a cake is done. I LOVE IT.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:39am
post #14 of 23

Loucinda - thanks! I'm going to give it a whirl next time. I have one of the Kenmores with convection and warming drawer. The convection bake adjusts down as well. Looks like I'm doing a little more convection!

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:24am
post #15 of 23
Quote:

1- 12x18
3- 8" rounds
4- 6" rounds
1- 10" round/square
1- 12" round/square

You must have a reaaaaly big oven icon_smile.gif I"m jealous

beachcakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:48am
post #16 of 23

Oh! Loucinda! I need that oven!! Is it electric or gas? icon_smile.gif I can fit a 16" in my regular oven, but only one rack at a time or it won't bake properly. And the left side cooks hotter tahn the right... I can't wait for it to die! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:42am
post #17 of 23

It is electric - I have always had a gas stove until we remodeled - I fell in love with this stove and since we had the kitchen torn all up anyways, we jst put in new electric lines and bought this stove. It took me a while to get used to a smooth cook top versus a gas one though. icon_eek.gif I LOVE my oven!

beachcakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #18 of 23

Excellent! I've had gas for the last 15 years, but i want to switch back! I've never had a smooth top either, i'd be afraid to scratch it!

Cathy26 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:55pm
post #19 of 23

i can fit 2 8inch and 2 6 inch all together or otherwise just 2 10 inch or 12 inch cakes, one on each shelf. could fit a 14 inch at a push but not a 16 inch. would love a huge oven so i could get all my baking done in one go!!

xstitcher Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:44pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Excellent! I've had gas for the last 15 years, but

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sorry, beachcakes couldn't resist!

stampinron Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #21 of 23

For those that have a convection or use multiple racks. Do you find it a problem to open the oven door to take out a smaller cake while a larger one is baking? I always worry about the larger cake falling if the oven door is open too soon. Am I making sense?

Loucinda Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:19pm
post #22 of 23

Once in a blue moon it will. I have found that if I am close on the time - it is ok, if I put one bunch in and then 20 minutes later I put another set in, I will have a problem. To keep that from happening (the 20 qt. hobart helps now!) I load it all at once. That way, even though I may be opening the door to remove one of the smaller cakes, the larger ones have been in there long enough that they won't fall from the temp. reduction. (I hope that makes sense the way I wrote it.)

beachcakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Excellent! I've had gas for the last 15 years, but

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sorry, beachcakes couldn't resist!

icon_redface.gif
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%