Birthday Cake In Progress

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm by d3sc3n7

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:37am
post #1 of 6

Ok guys....I'm not really "new" around here...just dont post alot...so here goes.

I'm working on my daughters (8yrs) cake right now. I'm using the top 2 pans, from my wedding cake pan set. so, thats what a 8 and 4 inch? 6 and 3 maybe? anyway.

I'm doing 2 of each size, and making a 2 tier cake. Top will be light pink, bottom dark pink...shes ALL about pink.

Ok...now that the intro is done...on the the questions...lol

1: Should I use a marshmallow fondant? I've used regular fondant before, and the family wasnt real pleased with it, so wont do that again for a kids birthday! I've never made the marshmallow stuff before, so I'm a little worried about it.

2: For her name...I have the wilton 101 piece cookie cutter set. (why is it always 101?) so I'm going to cut her name out (I have a little leftover regular fondant if need be) NOW! should I spiral it down from the top? Or arch it? The name is Madison, so not really short.

Thanks so much gals and guys,

5 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:44am
post #2 of 6

If you want to know what size your pans are (and it's not visible on the back side) then just measure the diameter of the pan.

As for using MMF, it's not that hard I just found it to be a bit of a sticky mess and sometimes tempermental. I prefer MFF it tastes better (especially if you add white chocolate to it) in my opinion and handles better and is pretty easy to make (especially if you have a KA to do most of the work for you).

As for the name, are you planning on adhering the letters down the side of the cake? How about putting them on the cakeboard (foam core works really well as a cake board - you can pick it up either at a dollar store (dollar tree carries them) or go to your local art/craft supply store). What I've done before for letters when I couldn't find the font I was looking for is printed the font from the computer and then cut it out and used it as a template for my fondant.

Good luck with the cake and remember have fun!

d3sc3n7 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 6

Yes, my plan was to put dark pink letter on the light half, light letters on the dark half.....then paint the letters that are on both tiers dual colors.

I guess I could make them a complimenting color to both pinks...I just want to make sure they stand out...but not look horrible.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:57am
post #4 of 6

Brown goes well with pink. How large are these cookie cutters?

d3sc3n7 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:00am
post #5 of 6

they are probably 1.5in cutters...not real big

d3sc3n7 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 6

Ok...quick update. Got the two bottom cakes baked last night, and one batch of MMF. My hands are pinkish right now, and will be even more pink later. I have to work with my hands, I dont like using gloves at all. Oh well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%