Calling All Californians.

Business By MrsNancyB1 Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 3:46pm by laceycakes

MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:29am
post #1 of 5

I have just learned that it is illegal in CA to sell cakes from your home. I am very disappointed with this. I am only a beginner when it comes to cake-making, but I was beginning to have dreams of selling my cakes sometime down the road.

If you live in CA, and are selling cakes, how did you do it? Did you rent a commercial kitchen? How did you absorb that cost? Do you have to apply for a small business loan? Did you find any avenues around the law, to accept money for cakes, without actually 'selling' them?

I'd love to hear others' experiences....

4 replies
Christina222 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:33am
post #2 of 5

At Cake Camp in September there is a class about specifically opening and running a successful cake decorating business in California. I am plan on attending this class, maybe you should too. It might clear up alot of these questions =)

MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:38am
post #3 of 5

Thank you!

I just checked out their website, and I see that class is full. LOL, seems like a lot of people have this topic in mind.

AZCakeGirl Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 5

It looks like you are somewhat close to the LA area. Go to They are a company who built several commercial kitchens specifically to rent in the LA area. This should help you get started while being legal at the same time. You can also look into renting a kitchen from other places (adult centers, churches, etc.) as well. With the economy the way it is right now, it might not be that hard to find a business who is willing to rent their kitchen to you for a little extra cash when they are not using it.

laceycakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 5

I am also interested about this, but unfortunately am unable to attend Cake Camp this time around. Christina222, once you attend the class, if you would pass on some information to the rest of us, I know, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%