Help! Satin Ice Bow

Decorating By radtech Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 2:30pm by tonedna

radtech Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:38am
post #1 of 9

I am starting to panic....I am making a black 1/2 fondant 1/2 gumpaste bow for a wedding cake for next weekend. I have made this bow before with marshmallow fondant and used the Planet Cake tutorial/vido and it came out great.
This time I decided to use Satin Ice because it has to be black and I didn't want to have to worry about trying to get my MMF black but it is way too soft, I just can't get it to work.
any suggestions????? Help icon_cry.gif

8 replies
Lynnzee Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:43am
post #2 of 9

Maybe if you kneed in some tylose this may help your satin Ice become firmer and hold up better

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #3 of 9

Yes, you absolutely have to knead in some tylose, cmc, or Wilton's gum tex into it and roll it fairly thin in order for it to work well and dry nicely.

Rae

radtech Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:51am
post #4 of 9

I do have some gum-tex....how much do I use. I have never even opened it yet, I am a novice and really don't know what the heck I am doing LOL I will try tomorrow and let you guys know how it turned out. THANKS!

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:54am
post #5 of 9

I'd try 1tsp./lb. of fondant, knead it in and then let it rest for awhile.

If it still feels too soft/gummy after an hour, then add another 1/2 tsp.

If you put in too much, it will crack too easily.

It's right when you can roll out a thin piece, pick it up & drape it over the back of your hand without it sticking or cracking.

Rae

leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:52am
post #6 of 9

ditto

radtech Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 9

Well ladies I followed your advice and the fondant was much easier to work with. thumbs_up.gif I added some gum tex and also added some Wilton gum paste. It is pretty humid here in Michigan but they seem to be getting pretty hard. I have to be patient and leave them alone to dry!

Lynnzee Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 9

waiting is always the hardest part icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 9

I done those fondant bows in Satin Ice before. Added bunches of tylose to it
so it dried faster. Mainly cause I usually do my bows last minute since I like to shape them to the cake. It works great like all the ladies said.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%