Need Advise On How To Make Spouting Water On Whale

Decorating By dldbrou Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 11:51am by NatalieMarie

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:18am
post #1 of 10

I am making a baby shower cake and my DIL has chosen invitations that have a blue mother whale swimming next to a baby whale.

I was going make a sheet cake with light blue piping gel on the top and a 3-D mother and baby whale on top. The picture on the invitations has water spouting out of the blow hole and I can not figure out how to do this. If you have any suggestions, please help me out. I am going to put sand around the sides of the cake like the beach with seashells and starfish scattered around it.

That is all I can come up with for an idea for this cake. Any other suggestions welcomed.

9 replies
Lynnzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnzee Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 10

http://bonobocakes.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/whale1.jpg

Above is a link to a cake I found through google that I thought looked interesting. If you type whale into the gallery search here on CC there also are some interesting ones.

I might get a little creative with some blue and white chocolate and wrap it in a cone shape adding icing to the ends creating the bubble affect.

snshin1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snshin1993 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:52am
post #3 of 10

you can use wire and put little drops on the wire with royal icing let dry and then put it in the cake

dldbrou Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 10

Lynnzee, That link is perfect. How do you think they did the spout? Chocolate or Royal Icing or gumpaste?

dldbrou Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 10

snshin, I was thinking the same thing and did not know if I could do it with royal icing. My luck, it would crack off the wire when it moved.

snshin1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snshin1993 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 10

I would shape the wire the way you want it and then do the royal icing. I did this for an 80th birthday cake to make fireworks and it worked great.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 10

You can do it with gumpaste or fondant too. Just heat the end of the wire in a candle flame for a second and then push it into the shaped fondant. The heat will bond the wire to it.

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:27am
post #8 of 10

This cake by Lindy Smith is really good:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindyscakes/3791107333/

She uses a mixture of pearlised balls and tear drops on wire to great effect.

dldbrou Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:26am
post #9 of 10

Thanks Natalie, I just ordered her book on Amazon.

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:51am
post #10 of 10

Oh, I love her books!!

Apart from having really great animal cakes to make, the best thing about her book is that it gives such great instructions on how to carve your cakes effectively.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%