I'm delivering my 1st wedding cake tomorrow and am just curious to know what you all take with you in case something goes wrong?
This is a fondant-covered cake.
- my icing spatula so I can place the tiers in position, if I'm assembling on site.
- decorating bag of icing, tips, to make any borders or for touch ups.
- Scissors, if adding ribbon
- Ribbon, provided by bride
- camera and extra batteries (your camera will die on you just ONCE before batteries is part of every kit!)
- A clean kitchen towel, used for wiping hands and to lay on the table while putting finishing touches (avoids messing up the tablecloth), if doing any assembly on site.
- 2 boxes for leftover cake, which I leave under the cake table.
- 5-6 biz cards, that I tuck unobtrusively under the back of the cake, barely visible, in case they need them.
I sometimes carry:
- Extra dragees if the cake has them in the design, to replace any that may have fallen off during transport.
My whole kit will usually fit inside a gallon-size ziplok bag.
I just did my first wedding cake last month, and I probably took too much stuff with me. I took some fondant and a piping bag of buttercream fitted with a small round tip. I took some flowers, gum glue and a small bottle of pearl paint, along with a paintbrush. I also took my bench scraper and offset spatula, to pick up the cake if I had to move it. I took a needle-nose pliers and floral tape, because I had several boxes of gumpaste flowers that I was adding to the cake once I was there. I bought a toolbox from Walmart, not a Wilton one but a clear plastic regular one, because it had the right size of compartments and a tray to fit my tools. I think it was about $5.
The only things I ended up needing were the bag of buttercream (to fill a small gap where the fondant was a tiny bit too short and the cake board showed, and some fondant to put in the bottom of a couple of short drinking glasses, to use as a base for the extra gumpaste flowers, which the bride wanted to use for table decor.
Okay, thanks! I will bring all of that stuff for sure. Wish me luck!
I have a Stanley tool box on wheels, black and yellow, with a handle. It was really bought for my tools I use for teaching decorating classes...needed to have something portable. I've found though that it works great for cake deliveries too. I keep extra icing, tips I used for the cake, scissors, spatula, camera and batteries, extra fondant if used, a small level and shims. It is amazing how an unlevel table can screw with your cake!
Anything that I used in the decorating, I bring- icing colors, tips and accessories (flowers etc). Camera, food safety gloves, antibacterial gel, camera, business cards, delivery sign off sheet, scissors, pen, toothpicks. This also fits in a small carrier. I think it was supposed to be used for holding cleaning supplies, but it works for this purpose!