First Time With Crisco - Disaster!

Decorating By KitchenKat Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 3:21am by sugarshack

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:26am
post #31 of 33

I'm probably jumping in here late, but just wanted to add my vote for the too much fat/sugar ratio. 3 cups of fat to 1 lb of p.sugar? icon_eek.gif Wow, someone likes a little sugar with their shortening! icon_lol.gif

I use nothing but Crisco and didn't even notice a difference when it switched to zero trans fat. I'm sure using Dream Whip in my icing is the reason.

While "most" recipes may have a high fat/sugar ratio, I wouldn't agree that makes all those recipes ok. I've seen thread after thread after thread on here with posters having issues with melting, sliding, flowers-won't-form problems and when they post their recipe, it always has a high fat content. When I see that, to be honest, the first thought going thru my head is, "Well, no WONDER it's sliding off the cake!" icon_eek.gif

I did try a different icing recipe once. It had somewhere between 2-3 cups of fat in it (my normal recipe has 1-1/3 cups of fat). When I tasted this stuff, I about gagged and puked! Nasty!! All I could taste was shortening!

If this had been my only exposure to a shortening based icing, I would have sworn off of them forever! I couldn't imagine anyone eating this stuff and would have advised everyone to never make icing with crisco. Since then, I'm suspect of any recipe that has 2 cups fat to 2lb p.sugar.

Fortunately, I knew better because I did have a good shortening based icing recipe and knew the problem with this one was all the fat in it.

So yeah .... put me in the "too much fat" column. (I mean the ICING has too much fat! not put ME in the "too much fat"! (although I DO qualify!)) icon_lol.gif

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 6:38am
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I use nothing but Crisco and didn't even notice a difference when it switched to zero trans fat. I'm sure using Dream Whip in my icing is the reason.

I, too, have only used Crisco in my frosting. I started using the Trans Fat Free when it was only available in the green 1lb containers, and have never had a problem with it. I have tried indydebi's recipe and it is good, but sometimes I forget to buy the Dream Whip (or enough of it, lol).

This is the basic recipe that I use:

1 cup Crisco
1-2 drops lemon oil
1-2 drops orange oil
1-2 drops vinegar
1# powdered suger - sifted
1 tsp flavoring
2-4 Tsp water (depending on consistency)

I have found that by adding the oils and vinegar it greatly reduces the greasy mouth feel of the frosting. I cream my crisco (and liquids) on low on my KA until it is smooth and creamy (almost looks like RI, lol). Then add the sugar a little at a time, beating until smooth, before adding more. I do it all on the lowest setting on my KA and it comes out wonderfully and I've never had a problem with colors or a grainy feel.

Just my $.02!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:21am
post #33 of 33

Maybe I missed something but didn't the OP write that she used 3 cups fat to 3 pounds PS? That's a 1:1 ratio, which is correct usually. That is the standard ratio for a crusting BC, no? That's the ratio of my icing and it crusts great....

(I do, however, think that less liquid is needed and possibly more PS when there is butter in the recip due to the higher water content in butter.)

Not meaning to argue, I just want to be sure.

Indy, I think your dream whip is the miracle cure for the new Crisco!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%