First Time With Crisco - Disaster!

Decorating By KitchenKat Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 3:21am by sugarshack

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 33

I've always used an all-butter IMBC or SMBC. I've never had problems except maybe that the colors don't come out as brilliant This time I decided to try using a shortening based crusitng BC . This is what I used:

2 cups crisco
1 cup butter
1-3Tbsp creamer
3lbs powdered sugar
2 Tbsp flavoring (vanilla-butter)

Aaaaaargh!!!!!

it's not working for me! The frosting is grainy, as in I can feel the grains of sugar on my tongue and feel the grit between my teeth. It's too sweet for my taste. Though my sons claim it tastes like oreo filling, they ended up not eating the rest of the frosting on the cake scraps I had them try.

The biggest disaster is when I colored it, the americolor gels I used wouldn't incorporate completely. There are speckles of white in the frosting, as though individual grains of sugar did not absorb the color.
I dont know if you can see it in the photo.

I tried using it for an FBCT and it just wasn't behaving. Colors bled and the icing stuck to the acetate sheet. In the end I scrapped the FBCT idea.

On the plus side the frosting was easy to work with as it did crust nicely.

Why???
LL

32 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 33

Looking at your recipe there is too much fat compared to sugar.
The following is what i use and it works great! I have many people
asking for my recipe

1 c butter softened
1 c wal mart brand shortening (the one with trans fat)
1 tbsp clear vanilla
3/4 tsp cream boquet (optional)
1/3 c cream
mix all together until smooth and creamy then add 4# powdered sugar

good luck. I think you'll like the recipe. Crusts well too

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #3 of 33

This is the recipe that I like: http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_rate-6992-5.html

There's no butter in it but the dream whip somehow makes the grease not as greasy as most buttercreams I've tried. I've never had that color issue with it either. I used to see that sometimes when I used the Wilton recipe.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:25am
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

This is the recipe that I like: http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_rate-6992-5.html

There's no butter in it but the dream whip somehow makes the grease not as greasy as most buttercreams I've tried. I've never had that color issue with it either. I used to see that sometimes when I used the Wilton recipe.

That's the recipe that I use as well. Just an aside, I add 1 tsp of salt to the recipe to cut the sweetness down to a taste that I personally like.

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:37am
post #5 of 33

i use

1 C crisco
2 sticks softened butter
2 tsp vanilla
8 C powdered sugar - sifted and then measured
and up to 4 tbs milk

I have never had a problem with color seperating or anything...its also yummyicon_smile.gif

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:39am
post #6 of 33

Instead of a vanilla butter flavor, I use just the butter and some almond flavoring when using crisco. It helps cut down on the gross sweetness.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:47am
post #7 of 33

It is not the fat/sugar ratio. Many recipes keep to about 1c fat - 1lb PS, then flavorings.

I generally don't use Crisco, but would I'm not a snob. It might be the new trans-fat thing. Before you give up on this, try the regular fat store brands or get some hi-ratio.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:08am
post #8 of 33

I have always used the Wilton BC recipe, and it works fine for me. I can't get Americolor in Canada, so again, I just use the Wilton colours. Have never had a problem. It's sweet, but always works.

1 cup Crisco
1 tsp. clear vanilla
1/2 tbsp. Meringue Powder
3 tbsp. milk (or water)
4 cups / 1 lb of powdered sugar

This makes a stiff BC. Add 1 tbsp. more milk/water per recipe for medium, and another 1 tbsp. per recipe for thin. You may need to add a little bit more, depending the consistency. Without butter, this is pure white.

Here is the link to the Wilton BC that is currently shown on their website: http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing .

It says at the bottom this has been modified due to the new trans fat free shortening. I don't think we have that in Canada yet, so I still use the original one.

KitchenKat Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

It is not the fat/sugar ratio. Many recipes keep to about 1c fat - 1lb PS, then flavorings.

I generally don't use Crisco, but would I'm not a snob. It might be the new trans-fat thing. Before you give up on this, try the regular fat store brands or get some hi-ratio.

Yes, I agree it's not the sugar-fat ration because all the recipes I've seen have the same proportions. So it's probably the Transfats. The Crisco I used wasn't labelled "no trans fats". How will I know if it's the new or old formula?

I'll try it again when I'm feeling bold and creative. Thanks for your answers icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 33

I personally think the new trans-fat free Crisco is the work of the devil and I don't use it for anything but cookies or frying.

Definitely try some hi-ratio shortening. Not only does it not feel as greasy, but it gives your icing a fluffier feel and generally an overall better quality. I typically don't mix butter and shortening in my icing. I either do all butter or all shortening, but always always always the hi-ratio shortening.

Good luck!

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:28pm
post #11 of 33

Just look on the label it states transfat content.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:54pm
post #12 of 33

[quote="CutiePieCakes-Ontario"] I can't get Americolor in Canada, so again, I just use the Wilton colours.

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/

She has Americolor and everything else! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:07am
post #13 of 33

Oh, I'll be a snob allright. Try a hi ratio shortening recipe. Like Sugarshack's.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:20am
post #14 of 33

i think it was prob the crisco. get a store brand with trans fat or hi ratio

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:51am
post #15 of 33

It almost looks like the cs needed to be sifted more?????

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:02am
post #16 of 33

OP that close up pic looks like something off the Science channel - lol! That separating happened to me the first couple of times I made buttercream and I think it was because my butter was not at room temperature, so it didn't whip up nice and fluffy. I also used cheap colouring from the supermarket.

I have 2 questions: what are the ingredients in Dream Whip - is it like a merengue powder?

What exactly is does hi - ratio mean in shortening? Is it the ratio of animal fat to vegetable fat?

TIA

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:39pm
post #17 of 33

To me, it looks like there was too much color to be absorbed and it made the icing seperate. (and I am sure the crisco had a part in it!) I LOVE Sugarshack's recipe, I use it now and never have any problems.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:57pm
post #18 of 33

[quote="CookiezNCupcakez"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

I can't get Americolor in Canada, so again, I just use the Wilton colours.

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/

She has Americolor and everything else! thumbs_up.gif

I stand corrected. I've never been to Golda's Kitchen. Thanks.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:15pm
post #19 of 33

I love my crisco based frosting!! It turns out everytime!

3 TBSP milk or water (I prefer milk)
pinch of salt
2 tsp clear vanilla
1 1/2 tsp butter extract
1 1/2 cup crisco shortening
1 lb powder sugar

A few secrets on this when I make it....

I mix the first 4 ingredients very first, then slowly add the crisco and then the powder sugar, by doing this, it turns out perfect!!! Also, I double the batch because this does not make much at all!! You can also leave out the butter flavoring and add what ever other falvoring desired! Or just plain and simply leave it out and have just a basic vanilla frosting!! Give it a try it ever has ever let me down!!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:31pm
post #20 of 33

Yeah, the sugar looks "big" to me. I think it can be redeemed if you beat the daylights out of it...maybe take some out, heat it a little in the microwave and beat it back in, to help dissolve the sugar....i don't know. When all else fails, mix cream cheese with it, beat it really good and use it for other frosted cakes. I never throw a bad batch out. I can't comment on the hi-ratio/low-ratio or Crisco vs. Store brand. I've had good/bad experiences with all of them. I've got some grainy buttercream in the fridge right now, just waiting on a chance to be used.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:33am
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

To me, it looks like there was too much color to be absorbed and it made the icing seperate. (and I am sure the crisco had a part in it!) I LOVE Sugarshack's recipe, I use it now and never have any problems.

I have this issue with red and black because you add so much color to the icing. And Americolor gels while they are suppose to take less are a gel and not a paste so they are adding some more 'moisture' to your icing.

When I have to make dark colors I always toss a spoon or so of corn starch in to help absorb the excess liquid.

I have to ask when are we going to stop referring to the no trans fat crisco as the 'new' crisco? It's several years old now.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm
post #22 of 33

I know exactly what the problem is because my BC did the exact same thing. I tried everything for 2 weeks before I figured out (thanks to CC) that it was the Crisco. All Crisco is trans fat free now and has been for about 1 1/2 years. It causes the buttercream to look spotty and almost as if it's trying to come apart. It will still crust somewhat alright but the consistancy is horrid.
Try it with a high ratio and you will see a world of difference. It will be smooth and easier to work with, also no funny spotting.
I use the buttercream dream recipe here on CC and use to 1 cup of butter, 2/3 cup high ratio.
The reason the dream whip recipe works is because it adds the fat back into the crisco by using the dream whip. I've never tried this recipe but people on here seem to love it.
Good luck.
Sorry for the horrid spelling and sentence structure. I worked a double today.

madgeowens Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:50am
post #23 of 33

are you using butter with the crisco? there is plenty of fat in butter....I cannot figure out what to look for on a can of shortening to know if its hi ratio....I use a stick of butter and cup of crisco and it works fine....

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:55am
post #24 of 33

Hi ratio is a specialty shortening. It isn't in the aisle with Crisco. It is usually found at specialty bake shops or online.

mkolmar Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #25 of 33

standards for butter in the US has changed. It actually has a higher % of water in it now. This has caused some issues with making pastries in general.
It's actually not just plain fat, but transfat that is the issue (from what I've read on here, don't know 100% for sure though)

Just keep trying with the recipe and with different ingredients. Everyone prefers something different to work with.
thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #26 of 33

aha......someone in here said you can find it at walmart and I was going nuts reading trying to figure this out...I guess since mine is behaving I will let it alone..

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:59am
post #27 of 33

Yeah, if it were at Walmart, guaranteed, everyone woulda ditched Crisco a looooong time ago.....guaranteed! Well not everyone. I know there are some fans of Crisco out there.

madgeowens Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:59am
post #28 of 33

I thought butter was cream churned into butter.............I must just have my stupid cap on tonight

mkolmar Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:03am
post #29 of 33

your so funny madgeowens. It's hard keeping up with all the changes they make and requirements for food. It makes my head spin sometimes (with help from my kids of course).

KitchenKat Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:53am
post #30 of 33

Update: tried Indydebi's BC using hi-ration shortening and it was wonderful Tasted great - I'm surprised it's not too sweet. Crusted beautifully. Easy to make. Took colors well. What's not to love? I think I found "the one". Thanks for your replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%