Turning Away Business

Business By buggus Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 12:50pm by candoo

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #1 of 14

I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm just starting out. I work a full-time job, as I'm not able to quit that and do my business full-time, nor so I have enough business to do so. I also have a toddler to care for when I'm not working. So, most of the jobs I'm committing to are usually weekends. I had someone request something for mid-week, but I can't get the time off, and I wouldn't have the time to do it even if I didn't take the time off. So, I had to turn it down. Isn't that bad?? Aren't I supposed to be taking anything and everything, just to get my name out there? I thought it may have been a bad move, but I have my life too. Advice?

13 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #2 of 14

Don't worry about turning business down, it just makes you look more
in-demand! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:01am
post #3 of 14

You don't have to say you're busy with your other job, either...just say that your schedule is already full for that date, or that you're already booked icon_biggrin.gif

buggus Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:03am
post #4 of 14

I kind of made the mistake of saying I'm working my full-time job, but this is someone I went to school with, so it's not like someone I don't know. But, I don't want that sounding bad.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #5 of 14

Don't worry about it...I'm sure she understood and it didn't sound bad to her.

Just think of it as practice for when you're talking to a total stranger icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:42am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggus

Isn't that bad?? Aren't I supposed to be taking anything and everything, just to get my name out there?

No, it's not bad. It's actually good. It trains your customer and customers-to-be that you are in demand, which means your cakes are good and you are a talented decorator "......so if you want her to do a cake, you better book her right away!"

No you dont' take "anything and everything". I turn down stuff that's not profitable and not worth my time; I turn down stuff that I dont' feel I'm qualified to make; I turn down stuff becaues I'm booked solid. When I can, I refer them to another caker in the area (I have 3 CC'ers close to me who I can send them to).

Do not fall into the trap that you have to become a yes-man to everyone.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #7 of 14

I turn down stuff that's not profitable and not worth my time; I turn down stuff that I dont' feel I'm qualified to make; [/quote]

What are you not qualified to make? I seriously want to see what you turn down for that reason.

Even if you did not have the family and the other job, you can still say no for any reason or no reason what so ever. When you start doing orders and feel you do not have the time for it, your work will suffer and you will begin to hate your artform. JMHO

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

What are you not qualified to make? I seriously want to see what you turn down for that reason.

I haven't done hardly anything in the carved cake category, so I tread cautiously along those lines. (and I think that's one of the worst grammatically structured sentences I've ever seen! icon_redface.gif ). I've also never done a TT cake .... I'll happily experiment on a family member's birthday, but not on a bride! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

Even if you did not have the family and the other job, you can still say no for any reason or no reason what so ever. When you start doing orders and feel you do not have the time for it, your work will suffer and you will begin to hate your artform. JMHO

Absolutely agree! thumbs_up.gif

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:19pm
post #9 of 14

I'm in the same boat. Work a full time job and about to move into a commercial setting to become legal. I know I will have to turn down lots of orders because I cannot physically do the job. Until I get profitable enough to hire someone to bake, make icing, etc, that's the way its going to be. I already kind of have the reputation of "if you want Susan to do the cake, you better call early because she stays booked up". Not necessarily a bad thing! LOL!!!

buggus Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #10 of 14

Thank you all so much, I feel alot better now knowing it's okay to say no!! I would rather start my business slow anyway, but I'm so flattered I've been getting so many requests so far. But, I have to pace myself.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #11 of 14

I turn down stuff all the time. Even when I'm not busy. My biz is not here for anyone's convenience but my own. icon_smile.gif And convenience takes on many definitions, family time, down time, vacation time, and doing nothing watching tv time.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I turn down stuff all the time. Even when I'm not busy. My biz is not here for anyone's convenience but my own. icon_smile.gif And convenience takes on many definitions, family time, down time, vacation time, and doing nothing watching tv time.

Yeesssssss....That's what I say about the telephone, too. It's there for MY convenience, otherwise the answering machine is there for my convenience!

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:20pm
post #13 of 14

I totally understand where you are coming from and you have no reason to feel bad at all! I teach 2nd grade 4 days a week, and run a small home based business as well. On my website I have an availability calendar. If I know I am going to be busy writing school reports or something similar, than I just block out those dates on the calendar. That way, people know not to bother making an enquiry. If people call me, I always check my calendar, to make sure I can fit the job in. If I can't, Then I just say "sorry I am not available that day" or "I am fully booked for that date". No other explaination is neccessary, and my customers are always fine with that icon_smile.gif I've even had a few loyal customers change the date of their function so I could do their cake. People are always very understanding, don't worry! You'll get used to saying "no" it will save your sanity! icon_smile.gif

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:50pm
post #14 of 14

I've had the same problem! But I've finally learned to say "I'm booked solid for that week"! I did 6-8 cakes per week all summer (and didn't really start doing cakes until the end of May), all b/c I was afraid to say no and me just starting out! But I have quickly learned that I can't keep that pace up! Not while working my "real" job, too! And like others said, quality above quantity! That was part my my deciding factor to cut back!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%