Is Smbc Or Imbc Worth It?

Decorating By luminajd Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 6:52pm by love2makecakes

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:55pm
post #61 of 66

Alright, so it is not quite 110 here... we do get upper 80s and in the 90s with some to a lot of humidity. I am thinking I will just stick to the reg. bc for these events!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:18pm
post #62 of 66

crlovescakes...I offer both kinds of buttercream (I prefer the IMBC but that's me.) I give clients both to taste during tastings, because some people like one more than the other and some don't have a preference. You don't have to use one or the other, you could offer both.

I usually use IMBC for the flavored fillings, and the sweeter on the outside. That seems to be what most of my customers like, although every now and then I can convert one to want the IMBC on the outside too! icon_smile.gif

love2makecakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:35pm
post #63 of 66

costumeczar - that is a great way to look at it. I think maybe it would be a great icing for a dessert cake or something like that. Kids tend to really like the american buttercream!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I am going to try it next time with some shortening too to help curb the butter taste... I personally like it, but one of my good friends said it taste way too buttery and I was using us butter....

One more question - can you use stablizer in SMBC to make it more stable? I have never used it, but I have seen it being sold and always wondered what the use was for?? Sorry, stupid question maybe?

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #64 of 66

Which SMBC recipe are you using? Make sure you aren't using salted butter, and remember-the colder the icing, the more prnounced the butter taste.

love2makecakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #65 of 66

I have tried a couple different kinds one was from a book - cant remember now, maybe martha maybe toba garrett?? the other one i have used a couple times now is the well dressed one on this site. yep, i did use us butter all times and i did notice it was much better when soft than cold! i also found i love it much better with chocolate cake verses white cake!

love2makecakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 6:52pm
post #66 of 66

ha! after writing all about it, now i am craving it terribly! infact my avatar is one of the choc cakes i made with smbc!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%