Help! Making People Wirh Fondant Or Gumpaste

Decorating By MistyNV30 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm by MistyNV30

MistyNV30 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 17

My daughter and I are trying to make a figure of Dale Earnhardt Sr. for my father's birhtday this could be the very last birthday we have with him so we are trying to make it real special!
We are making him a earnhardt cake with a figure of him standing on the cake. Okay here is where the problem is we have no idea how to do this. My daughter tried using fondant and gumpast but it just cracked. The she make simple out line using lolipop siticks. She was thinking of usin RKT and then putting sondant on top of that.
Thanks for any help.

16 replies
Jen80 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #2 of 17

It depends on how big you want to make it.

If it is small enough that you can just use gumpaste, make each part separately (limbs, body, head) than join them together with toothpicks and whatever glue you use. Then add the details.

If it is larger and you need to use RKT, I wouldn't know. So here's a bump.

If your gumpaste is cracking from drying out add a small amount of shortening.

Edited to say: If you're using just gumpaste, let the pieces dry before joining them together.

BabeyCakey Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 17

I've not worked with it before, but I've heard modeling chocolate is a little easier to work with for makign figures...good luck with the cake!

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:49am
post #4 of 17

If you have time to order a mold, you can find a mold that makes a male figure for $2. I've seen it a few different places but it doesn't work well to post links here. Anyhow, that would be the easiest way.

You can prop a figure up with balls of plastic wrap so that it dries in the pose that you want. You might have good luck making the legs first, with a lollipop stick or two sticking up through them. Let them dry, then add the torso. If the figure has sleeves, make the sleeves part of the torso and make a hole in the end of each sleeve to put the arm or hand sticking out of (depending on if it is long sleeved or short sleeved). Use a lollipop stick in the torso, sticking up to support the head when you add it. Let the torso dry, add hands and prop them up with plastic wrap balls if necessary, and add a neck and head.

Keep your gumpaste or fondant wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in a ziplock bag. Only take out enough for the piece you're working on right then and seal the rest up. You'll have a limited amount of time to add the details before the surface starts to dry and the piece cracks when you try to add detail. Fondant has a longer work time than gumpaste, so you can mix the two so you don't have to work quite as fast.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:05am
post #5 of 17

Also when making anything like this, you want to make sure the ball of fondant you start with to make the parts is crack free. If you have a crack in the ball that you use to make it with, the crack will using become worse.

Musings9 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:20am
post #6 of 17

Try breaking the figure down into parts i.e. nose hair, eyes, letting them dry fully and then join them together. I suppose you could try sculpting the figure as well but, you'd probably have to work quickly to avoid it drying out.
Don't get too overwhelmed, just tackle it bit by bit and you'll be fine.

xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:07am
post #7 of 17

I too would get the mold if at all possible. If not I would do as others suggested and do it piece by piece (ie limbs, torso, head etc). I would also recommend that you check out aine2's youtube videos. I don't believe she has a real person tutorial but she does have animals and such and it will give you the basics you will need to model your figure. She also shows you how to make modeling paste (fondant plus tylose powder). She also has some tutorials that she sells on her website that you can download. They're not to expensive either and they do have figures on them (I'm guessing with exchange rate they're somewhere in the range of $7-10 depending on which one you want).

Here's the link to aine2's videos (she has 26 in all):

Here's the link to her website where you can purchase her on-line tutorials:

You could also check youtube to see if there are any tutorials on how to do gum paste or fondant figures.

MistyNV30 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 17

Does anyone know where I could find a mold at.
I was searching and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.
Thanks for everyones help.

cs_confections Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 17

Aine does have a person tutorial - two if I remember right, a woman and a little boy. She also has a faces tutorial. You can pay via PayPal and you get them right away via email.

I used them to make my mom on her birthday cake. My issue was not allowing enough time to let her properly dry and the parts slid everywhich way...instead of sitting, she dried reclining. So if you get the tutorials, allow the amount of drying time instructed!

As for molds, in the clay section at Hobby Lobby, they have several people part molds (ie faces, limbs, bodies, etc) in a few different sizes.

Price Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 17

I think you could model a really cute figure. If you dress him in his fire suit and give him his well known mustache everyone is sure to know who he is. I was going to try to type instructions for you, but then I thought if you are near a store like Michael's or AC Moore, they have books in the clay section. They usually have really good instructions on making people figures. If you decide to model the figure and have any problems send me a pm and I'll try to help you.

Where are you in PA? I'm only about 45 minutes from York.

Edited to add: Gumpaste doesn't work for me when I making figures. It dries too quickly. I normally use fondant with a little tylose powder kneaded in.

cylstrial Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 17
MistyNV30 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #12 of 17

Thanks everyone for the help.

Price - I live in pottsville right now about 1 1/2hrs from york. But I'm moving next week back to Fayetteville which is about 30 mins. from york. I wish we had a Michaels but there is nothing around here.

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:11am
post #13 of 17

Here's a place that has the mold:

Sometimes links don't work here, if it doesn't work I'll try again with some spaces or something icon_biggrin.gif

Michaels doesn't have them, but they have some people molds in the clay aisle. Theirs are smaller though.

xstitcher Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:13am
post #14 of 17

I have that one Texas_Rose once I received it I realized it was to big though. I still went ahead and made it just for the practice though icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:33am
post #15 of 17

perfect timing on this post, i was just about to search the forums. Was gonna try to make an Elvis and a showgirl!

MistyNV30 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks Texas_Rose I'm going to order one. I will also check michaels out to.
My daughter couldn't get hers to work so she did something alittle different. I will try and attach pic.
Thanks again everyone. You guys are great.

MistyNV30 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm
post #17 of 17

Here is the picture of what my daughter came up with.
This is not what she started out to do but came up with this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%