Not So Red Velvet Cake Help?!?!

Decorating By MSLRAC Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm by muddpuppy

MSLRAC Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a red velvet cake for a baby shower next week and I am having problems with it.

Here is the recipe that I am using. I like doctored mixes because me and scratch baking just do not get along.

But when I practiced the cake, it seemed a bit too chocolaty, was dry and was fuchsia.

I love the WASC recipe that I got from here and it always gets rave reviews so I was wondering if I could sub cocoa power for the almond extract?

Then what can I do to get a true red color? Also, will too much red coloring effect the flavor of the cake like it will icing?

5 replies
Parable Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 6

I personally like using a box of chocolate pudding in my recipe. It only adds a hint of chocolate but it helps inhance the red. Don't ask me why but it does. I also use Americolor "super red" so I don't have to use too much coloring. Too much and it can effect the taste.

MSLRAC Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 6

I'll try the pudding, thanks! I was worried about too much red making the taste off. I have seen a few recipes that call for 1/4 of a cup. I do have Americolors so I'll try it this time instead of wasting money on more Wilton's.

BlakesCakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 6

You can find my enhanced box mix recipe for Red Velvet here:

It's yummy, if I do say so myself.

The recipe you have is basically a WASC Red Velvet version. I've used it myself, but without adding chocolate. When I do it, here's what I do:

2 boxes DH Red Velvet cake mix
2 cups flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
2 Boxes of instant White Chocolate Pudding Mix (NOT Sugar free)
2-2/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups (16 oz) sour cream
6 eggs

Works great for large cakes

EatSomeCake Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 6

This is Cake Man Raven's recipe, people line up out the door in New York for it, it's the only one I use for red velvet, it's awesome and very easy to make!

Yields: Three, 9-inch layer cakes Baking Time: 15-20 minutes, 325 degrees pre-heated oven Level of Difficulty: Moderate.

Dry Ingredients: 2-1/2 cups of cake flour, 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of fine salt and 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder.

Wet Ingredients: 1 cup of buttermilk, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of vinegar (white distilled), 1-1/2 cups of vegetable oil, 1 oz. of red food coloring and 1 tsp. of vanilla extract. Frosting: 4 cups of Confectioners Sugar, 1 lb. of cream cheese (room temperature), 1 lb. of butter (softened) and 2 tsp. of vanilla. extract.

Sift together all dry ingredients. Add liquid in an electric mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until well incorporated. Slowly add dry ingredients to bowl, until all ingredients are combined.
Bake @ 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

Frosting: Mix together the cream cheese and the softened butter. Gradually add confectioners sugar until it reaches desired sweetness and smoothness. Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and frost the cake.

Serves 10-12

Enjoy a traditional Southern treat.

muddpuppy Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 6

I used this dr'd recipie and its awesome!!

1 box white cake mix (2-layer size)
1 box (4-serving size) instant vanilla pudding mix
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 ounces red food coloring

wet with wet, dry with dry, then combine...

Quote by @%username% on %date%