Taking And Building Cake Out-Of-Town For 9:30 Am Wedding???

Decorating By YaYaMaMa Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm by indydebi

YaYaMaMa Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 4

Hello, I am making a three-tier square wedding cake, using high-ratio shortening for the buttercream (no butter) on a fairly dense cake recipe. No fondant will be used at all.
The wedding is on the beach at 9:30 AM (my daughter is the maid of honor so I would love to see the wedding). The reception is nearby at a local hotel.
This is all located 3 hours from my house, so I was going to make and freeze the layers at home in the week leading up, transport them with the buttercream pre-made the day before the wedding.
Then assemble and decorate once I got there at the mom's condo the day before the wedding.
The morning of the wedding I will transport it from the condo to the hotel reception room. I am going to use a wooden board base, covered, of course.

Oh, we are also using colored ribbon around the base of it.

Any cakes I've made before were decorated day of, is it okay to decorate and assemble the day before in an air-conditioned condo?

Any holes or flaws in my plan? Any suggestions? I'm such a newbie, it isn't even funny. I can't believe I agreed to this. The bride fell in love with how good her birthday cake was that I made her and how I simply decorated - somehow that translated to me making her wedding cake and I said yes. Heaven help me! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Doug Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 4

should work just fine provided you don't forget any tools and no one else is staying at the condo that might mess with the cake (or you while you work) or the A/C conks out.

doing day before in A/Ced condo just like doing day before in an A/Ced store.

you've got the right idea to make as much as possible in advance -- I'd even cover the boards and tack the ribbon on at home too.

hope it's a beautiful day for all involved.

and WELCOME to CC!

diane Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 4

hello and welcome to cc.

i used high ratio shortening when i made my daughter's 3 tier graduation cake and also used ribbon. my biggest mistake was i forgot to iron on a backing to the ribbon. it soaked up the oil from the icing. i recommend doing this...it will save you a lot of trouble. i had to redo the whole thing. icon_cry.gif

the cake was also outside and i noticed that oil from the icing was showing on the cake board, which never happens to me when i use the new crisco. so...there is a benefit to using high ratio shortening, but watch out for the oil, especially when it is hot out. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 4

I always have my cakes done the day before the event so you'll be just fine.

(You dont' think they make all those cakes in the bakery display case all that same morning, do you? icon_wink.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%