Clay Isle At Michaels Or Joanns

Decorating By Yankie Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 4:09pm by Cakepro

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 12

I went to Michaels and Joanns..and I never really walked the Clay Isle but I did today looking for the clay gun..extruder. I found that they have a lot of things we can use for fondant.

I was wondering has anyone purchase the clay machine that looks like a pasta machine..if so how does it work?

I also found the flower tool..forget the name but is the one with the round ball....I found it in stainless steel...I had been looking for one.

So for those like me that don't walk the clay isle..check it out they have alot of things.

Thanks!!

11 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 12

Yup. I probably still have all that stuff in my storage boxes somewhere.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 12

I just recently went the the isle at Joann Fabrics and I purchased the metal balling tool, I already had purchased the Clay pasta press. I love them.
Go on line for JoAnn's, they even have basic petal cutters for beginners if you like to make fondant flowers like I do. I want to try the extruder and some of the molding products. Happy Shopping! HTH
Hammy

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Yup. I probably still have all that stuff in my storage boxes somewhere.

you and me both! icon_cool.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 12

I wouldn't recommend the clay extruder that Joanne/Michael's carries - I believe they both only carry the plunger type, and it's a waste of $. You need the Makin's Ultimate Professional - it's green metal with a twist T top. Both stores USED to carry it but I had to purchase mine online. I found the clay pasta roller more trouble than it was worth but maybe I'll bust it out the next time I have ribbons to do. It's hard to clean completely of grease; since it's not meant for edibles that's a bit of an issue.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 12

Oh right....double ditto no way to that crappy plunger clay gun thingy. Makins is the way to go!

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 12

I have the pasta roller and it works great for me. I have found if my fondant or gumpaste is too sticky I have to dust the rollers with a dusting puff. I also have the extruder from Michaels. Don't waste your money. It's awful. I recently bought the clay gun from Sugarshack's web-site and I love it. It is very easy to work with.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 12

I have several items from Michaels that were not made for fondant that work reasonably well. I love my pasta machine (be sure to use 40%-coupon) The clay extruder, even though it does not work as well as the expensive one, the price was in my budget. It works great for short lengths like hair. I have gotten alphabet stamps, soap seashell molds, clay tools etc. Be sure to use a Michaels coupon to buy feather boas, cake drums, disposable icing bags, tips etc. With a 40-50% coupon on one item the price is NOT bad. My Michaels lets me use one coupon per day and even lets me use AC Moore & JoAnns coupons.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 12

Jamie, LOVE LOVE LOVE your avatar

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 12

The other day I was at Hobby Lobby and they've got impression sheets designed to be used with clay in the pasta roller.

Also, Ross usually has those pasta rollers for $14.99. I have one that I've owned for years (I actually used to make noodles with it, isn't that weird icon_biggrin.gif ) but it's kind of a PITA to use it with fondant. I don't have a good place to attach it to the counter and I'm pretty good at just rolling out the fondant by hand, even that thin.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 12

I bought one of the hand crank pasta rollers/clay roller from AC Moore. Tried it once, hated it. Took it back and got the pasta attachment for my Kitchen Aid and love it.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 12

LOL...."Clay Isle." I think that is located somewhere in the Caribbean.

I love cruising the clay aisle at craft stores...cutters, texture sheets, sculpting tools, plastic molds...so many things used in sculpting clay are also wonderful to use in sculpting fondant and gumpaste.

The Makin's Ultimate Clay Extruder was my favorite clay aisle purchase EVER!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%