Decorating By sweetswedish Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm by Doug

sweetswedish Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 3

This is my first time writing here, although I have been peeking in to the forum for the past month. And enjoyed every minute of it.

I am looking to buy a template for a 3D muscle car. Does anyone out there have a web site address where to buy them.

Before asking you this question.. I want you to know I have really tried hard to find one on my own. I appreciate your input. Thank you.

2 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 3

What do you mean a template? Are you meaning an actaul 3D Cakepan? I have never seen a specific one for a muscle car.Most decoraters carve their own from cake.

Welcome to CC!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Doug Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 3

why buy when you can make your own.

If you know one, a woodcarver or furniture maker can do a live demo of how to do this.

• first find a very good pic or drawing of the item that shows it "flat on" from one side (and for more complex shapes, get front, back, and top views too)

• then copy the out line to stiff cardboard (like a cakeboard) -- make 2 copies -- hint --- tape the two boards together and cut only once to get to matching templates -- you can even do this with a scroll/jig saw that has a very fine tooth finish grade wood cutting blade in it.

• Before proceeding also make alignment 2 alignment holes -- punch 2 holes all the way through each board using a skewer.

• put one template on either side of the block of cake and align them by running skewers through the two alignment holes.

• now, using a LONG knife that spans the full distance between the templates and "then some" -- at least 1", better yet 2" or more -- slowly cut the cake letting the templates guide the knife.

• remove templates and cut pieces of cake and you have the basic raw shape.

• If you also do this for top, front and back, will have a very close form that will only need fine tuning -- mostly detailing to get the final desired effect.

try it on styrofoam first for practice.

hint -- in woodworking they will remove cut biggest profile sections first and leave them in place (often held with tape) as they move on to cutting the other smaller profiles -- once all the profiles are cut, then all the pieces removed. This makes it easier to align the profiles as you move from side to top to front and back.

for great cake carving advice see this thread:

be sure to see Bellatheball's post on the top of page 6 of that thread and follow her link to her photos of using this technique to do a car.

Quote by @%username% on %date%