First Two Wedding Cakes Done

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 5:36am by sweetcakesbydesign

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 16

OMG im so glad this week is over. i just finished my first two wedding cake and delivered them last night. i took 3 days holidays from work to do them as one had to be delivered in a 5 hour round journey so i planned to ice one on tuesday, one on wednesday and then deliver on thursday.

I can just say that wedding cakes are definitly not for me, the stress was unbearable and the time i spent on each cake was ridiculous - literaly 9am-5pm on each cake just torting and crumbcoating and fondanting. i had already baked and made all the flowers so i just had to make my buttercream and fondant.
it just wasnt fun at all, i was so worried about dropping a cake and there were imperfections in my fondant through air bubbles and rolling pin marks i was just really disappointed. Roll on novelty and christening cakes, definitly my comfort zone.

anyway, here they are - the 4 tier is 12,10 8 and 6 - lemon, chocolate, coconut and fruitcake and the 3 tier is 12, 9 ad 6 lemon and chocolate. i made 700 blossoms for the 4 tier one and the sunflowers from gumpaste though i bought the ivy. im so disppointed i didnt get a good picture of the 4tier but the function room was being used so i had to set it up in a side room but the sunflower cake picture was good.

also did a carrot cake grooms cake and a little cupcake tower for the kids at the 4 tier wedding.

Any critisim bad or good is appreciated - you cant say anything bad i dont see myself icon_sad.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

15 replies
annieluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieluz Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 16

I don't see why you are being so harsh on yourself! they both came out very pretty!! your hardwork paid off!!

=)

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 16

Cathy,
I have been waiting for an update from you.
They turned out just lovely. The issues you had do not show AT ALL!
I think you have found something that you are really good and and
you should keep growing in it.
Well done Woman! icon_smile.gif

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 16

Oh Cathy the sunflower turned out fab, I knew you could do iticon_smile.gif You're gonna have to teach me step by step on those sunflowers, they look way better than mine did.

Love the grooms cake and the figures, you did a great job. I can't believe you took on 2 wedding cakes in one week as your 1st attempt.

I think you did a great job give yourself a pat on the back and sit back and relax with a nice cuppa now.

Louise

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 16

love the sunflower cake icon_smile.gif looks awesome

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 16

Both of your cakes are awesome as a matter of fact all three, totally rocks we are our own worst critics, You did a great job

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 16

Your sunflower cake is my favorite and it is just to die for! Fantastic job!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 16

wow...you should be proud of yourself, the cakes are beautiful...do not give up....I wish I could do that...hopefully one day...

The sunflowers, the characters and everything is perfect.

lol

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 16

Your cakes are beautiful! I love the swags of little blossoms!

Cathy26 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 8:34am
post #10 of 16

thanks everyone, i have another wedding at the end of the month so il see how i get on with that since its ready booked and then take it from there. the time is a real issue for me with wedding cakes since i work full time, it just takes such a long time and then the delivery and set up, etc it will be hard when your working 9-5 and then trying to fit it in in the evening but we'll see.....

the main thing i was really disappointed in was my fondant covering. i hadnt covered anything bigger than a 10 inch so the12 inch cakes particularly the square and the 16 inch board near killed me with the air bubbles and rolling pin marks. i know normal people looking at the cake wouldnt notice but i really did.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:16am
post #11 of 16

cathy your cakes are fab. I love them both. You need to invest in a piece of pvc pipe to use as a rolling pin on the fondant for the larger cakes. It does help eliminate those rolling pin marks.I have also found when I crumb coat a cake before icing that if I let it sit too long it tends to dry abit and I get air bubbles under the fondant so I just use a light spray of water over it before covering and that seems to help.
Don't5 give up they are beautiful cakes I would love to have a go at sunflowers and get the results you have achieved.

scociny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scociny Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 16

You did an incredible job! thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 16

Wow, they're all gorgeous. I would have loved to see the square tiered cake up close to see the details and your sunflowers came out beautiful. You definitely have what it takes! icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm
post #14 of 16

I think they all look FANTASTIC! You are being too hard on yourself!

Cathy26 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks everyone for your nice comments, i truly wasnt posting this to get sympathy and attention - i know that the sunflower cake looks good in the picture, nice stand, good lighting, lovely hotel, etc but in real life there are little marks from air bubbles in the fondant when i was rolling it out and there were gaps in the topper that bothered me.

the 4 tier one also had marks in the fondant and the square edges were crap and rounded and different levels. the bottom edges on the square cake were also really bad, i had to pipe a border to cover up the space between the tiers and it looked messy i think that was what i was most disappointed with but it doesnt show up that much in the pictures. there were also definite fronts and backs to all the tiers of both cakes where there was a huge airbubble or rolling pin mark which had to go to the back which just has made me think im not ready for wedding cakes yet.

i know we are our own worst critics but to me a wedding cake should be perfect, flawless, etc and mine werent so to me thats a failure but like i said il see how i get on with the one for 28th aug and il see if i want to take on any more ...

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:36am
post #16 of 16

You did a great job. Don't be so hard on yourself. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%