Can You Register A Business Name Without A Licensed Kitchen?

Business By hensor Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 1:26am by veronica720

hensor Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 13

Just curious if anyone knows if you can register a potential business name if your not at the point of licensing your kitchen yet.

Also, what are the rules for selecting a business name? I realize that many catchy names are out there and licensed all over the place, but if there is no one with that name anywhere around me is that still okay?

Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

12 replies
veronica720 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 13

Yes you can. I was told to do this part first to make sure you get the name you want. I just registered mine on Monday and don't have my kitchen built yet.

veronica720 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 13

When I went up to the office I had to look through a book to make sure the name was not already in use, you can use any name available. I think something unique and catchy would be great. There are so many with names like "Piece of Cake".

indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 13

yes, you can register a business name anytime. Many people register a number of names "just in case" they decide to move forward with a business; or they register different variations of their current biz name so someone else doesn't pick a name that's close to theirs. I know a guy who owns about 15 business names, but he's only actively operating about 3 of them.

hensor Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica720

When I went up to the office I had to look through a book to make sure the name was not already in use, you can use any name available. I think something unique and catchy would be great. There are so many with names like "Piece of Cake".

Now I just have to think of something "unique and catchy" and I will be all set..LOL icon_lol.gif

veronica720 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 13

Yeah when I read it back I realized it didn't sound how I meant it. But I'm sure you know what I meant, right?
So do you already have something picked out?

hensor Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 13

I knew what you meant.
And no I don't have anything picked out yet...I'm still in the brainstorming phase.

veronica720 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 13

I thought it was fun trying to decide, but it was kind of stressful too.

Good luck!!

jhutch04 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 13

I never knew you could register a name without having a licensed kitchen. Does anyone know a ballpark figure on how much it costs to register a business name??? Any info will help!!! icon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 13

Depends where you live. For me, in Ontario, it was about $8 to search the name and $60 to register it for a five-year term. So every five years, I have to renew the name registration. It's not the same as getting a numbered company (there's a difference between registering a name and getting a business number for that name). If you never use that name, it's still yours for 5 years.

And just because someone in Tennessee has the same name you do, doesn't matter in Michigan. Only if they're registered federally does it make a difference. (I'm sure there is more than one "Carlo's Bakery" in the US, but now you automatically think of Buddy and his guys on Cake Boss on TLC. Doesn't mean that someone in Pittsburgh can't open a Carlo's Bakery.)

Best advice I can give is to search your state laws, since name registrations are state, not local, regulated. (Do an online search if you can. It will be more recent than a paper search.) You will find all the costs involved there.

Good luck!

cylstrial Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks for starting this thread. I love all the info!

pattycakesnj Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 13

Yes you can. One doesn't depend on the other. Most states have a website where you can search for a name (to make sure no one else in your state is using it) and register the name through the same website and they then send you the certificate thru the mail. In NJ it costs $75. (The NJ website then even refers you to the feds to get a tax id number)( At least I am getting something for the highest property taxes in the country. LOL)

veronica720 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #13 of 13

To register mine it cost $9.00 and it is good for ten years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%