I Can't Get My Fondant Smooth!

Decorating By Jessamarie22 Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 11:07pm by Jessamarie22

Jessamarie22 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 4

I'm covering my first wedding cake w/ fondant for tomorrow & I can't seem to get the fondant to roll out smoothly with a nice-looking smooth finish. I've already covered the 2 smaller tiers w/out any trouble, but now that I'm trying to roll out a larger circle, it's cracking and I'm getting air pockets. Any suggestions?

I used to always use shortening when rolling out fondant and I'm not doing that this time because I don't want the cake to have a slimy finish. Do I need to go back to the shortening? And if I do, will the 2 bottom tiers look different than the top ones?

3 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 4

yes if you use shortening it will look differently but you could allways wipe the 2 other tiers down to counteract that. If it is crackign it shoulds like it has fried out on you. try kneading a bit of shortening into the fondant and working it in very well, wrapping it up and letting it sit a bit. Then give it another try. Good Luck

diane Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

yes if you use shortening it will look differently but you could allways wipe the 2 other tiers down to counteract that. If it is crackign it shoulds like it has fried out on you. try kneading a bit of shortening into the fondant and working it in very well, wrapping it up and letting it sit a bit. Then give it another try. Good Luck

ditto thumbs_up.gif

Jessamarie22 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much! I tried the shortening and it worked! Still haven't put the shortening on the top two tiers yet, but that sounds like a good plan. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%