Help! Can You Carve Super Moist Cakes?

Decorating By annieluz Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm by Caths_Cakes

annieluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieluz Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone... a friend of mine asked me to make her a carved cake - a motorcycle (which I told her I will attempt, but can't gurantee as I've never done a carved cake) and if that doesn't work, a helmet... anyways, she said she wants the cake to be either a rum cake or dulce de leche cake, both of which are super moist cakes! has anyone ever attempted to carve such a moist cake?

I figured I could offer the filling to have the flavor of dulce de leche or cheesecake... but i wanted to see if it is possible before I tell her anything about her choices.

Any and all help would be great!!!!

THANKS!

5 replies
eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 6

the only type of cake that I have ever carved with is quite a dense one. I sat in on a debbie brown class and she suggested her madeira cake recipe is a good dense on for carving. I think if it was too moist you would lose chunks off as you try to shape, cover in buttercream then fondant. Think the filling as her flavour is your best option! Good luck.

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 6

I'm no pro, but my personal opinion is 1. you wouldn't be able to carve it without it crumbling apart and 2. the weight from the icing/fondant would weigh it down if it had to sit for a while. I could be wrong tho! HTH

annieluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieluz Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your input.. I agree, I was just hoping that maybe it has worked before. LOL. I hate telling people that I can't do something without confirming first =P... anyways, I told her i can do a butter pound cake with either rum or dulce de leche filing. it will still be yummy, but be dense enough for the carving....

THANKS!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 6

I've carved many cakes using WASC variations(frog and lizard are examples in my photos). It works great. Maybe you could make a WASC flavored like a rum cake or something.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 6

i hate carving moist cakes, your in for more problems than you need, honestly, i dont think its worth it in the end. Although i have done it, it depends on the shape, if just say a 2-d , like the iggle piggle in my pics, its easy enough, but if it needs to stand or support any weight at all, your in for trouble unfortunately.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%