Do You Actually Want Cake For Your Own Birthday?

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 2:41am by diane

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:51pm
post #31 of 83

I used to have my husband & daughter make me a cake, but since I've been really watching what I eat the last few years, I'd rather not have a whole cake sitting around. I'd rather just get a really good decadent dessert when we go out to dinner, and really enjoy it, then not have anything leftover.

I'm not that wild about cake anyway. I like it, but it doesn't satisfy my craving. I think it's the light, fluffy texture. I prefer something crunchy or dense and gooey, so cookies, brownies, & cheesecake are my thing. I love the Sogno di chocolate ("Chocolate Dream") at Carrabas, the Blondie at Ruby Tuesday, or the white chocolate-raspberry swirl cheesecake at Olive Garden.

I pick what restaurant we go to based on what dessert I'm in the mood for! icon_biggrin.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:12am
post #32 of 83

Yes !!! I want cake on my birthday & yes, I'll be the one making it ( otherwise I wouldn't get one !)

I think this year, I'll be making a citrus white choc mud cake ( my new fave !)

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #33 of 83

Shelle,
Sharing is certainly overrated, isn't it?

cutthecake Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #34 of 83

Doug,
I think I'll go to the garden center tomorrow and track down a gooseberry bush. It's time to plant another one so I can have gooseberries again.

Lynnzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnzee Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:38am
post #35 of 83

I have to have cake on my birthday!!! For me it is just not a B-day without a cake!! icon_biggrin.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #36 of 83

Yes, I want cake on my birthday, and I will be making my own. When I was a kid I had four brothers and a sister, we each had our favorite kind of cake and on our birthday that is what my mom made. My favorite was her home made angel food with a raspberry icing. Now, her angel food was nothing like what you buy in the stores, not all air and no taste. For the decorations she always used the little hard candy letters which you get in the grocery store. You wet the back and peel the letters off spelling out your name. I loved doing that.
After I became a commercial cake decorator my mom thought it was funny to make me a cake and still decorate it with the little hard candies. I loved it, because her angel food was so good.
My mom is no longer living but every year it is still fun for me to make myself an angel food cake, using her recipe, and lovingly pull those letters off of the backing. Nothing else say's "Happy Birthday Jean" quite like that.

serialbabe1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serialbabe1968 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #37 of 83

icon_cry.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:55am
post #38 of 83

I must have cake! I love cake! I actually had 3 this year icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:03am
post #39 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Doug,
I think I'll go to the garden center tomorrow and track down a gooseberry bush. It's time to plant another one so I can have gooseberries again.

icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:54am
post #40 of 83

Absolutely, but I'm not gonna make it. It has to come from the cupcake shop.

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:15am
post #41 of 83

I very rarely eat cake anymore, I can't really stand any but my own, and I never even considered making my own. lol. The family doesn't get me cake anymore because they know I won't really enjoy it. (I am also diabetic, but Shhhh....) So they usually just take me out for dinner. I would rather have some nice carby asian food than cake anyway!

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #42 of 83

Apple pie! thumbs_up.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:51am
post #43 of 83

I asked my DH to get me an ice cream cake from Stone Cold Creamery (or DQ in a pinch).

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:57am
post #44 of 83

Cake first, cake last, cake always! Not only for my birthday (but it's not a birthday without it) but for any other day. I absolutely cannot resist an iced and decorated cake. How else do you think I got into this business? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:15am
post #45 of 83

BCJean it is those kind of memories that I hope my kids have of me.

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:21am
post #46 of 83

I love a good white cake with a delicious vanilla buttercream. Or if I could afford a cake from Hansen's bakery. My daughter had Hansen's bakery cake for her wedding. They are sooo delicious!!!!!Tori Spelling gets their cakes from there...But usually my sister makes me and my brother a cake to share since our birthday's are only 5 days apart.... And I will b 53 years old Wed...Happy Birthday to me icon_lol.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:43pm
post #47 of 83

I want cake. any time. all the time. argh.

Brandy982006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandy982006 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:01pm
post #48 of 83

My twin sister and I will be celebrating our birthday in a week and I have been challenged by her to come up with 1 cake that represents both of us (We are COMPLETE opposites). My thing, I don't like cake too much, especially since I have been decorating cakes (sampled too much while trying to come up with new flavors)...I am more of the "meat and potatoes" kind of person. But, I will do it cause it will be a challenge. I just want a nice dinner birthday.gif

Pat317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pat317 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:53am
post #49 of 83

I used to be a professional floral designer. I never wanted flowers because I was always comparing them to what I did. Same with cakes and cupcakes. Better than mine..not as good etc. Give me Sam's big cheesecake with all the different flavors. Yum.
Perfect birthday.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:38am
post #50 of 83

My kids think the birthday IS the cake! They wait the whole day for it to come out and help with the candle blowing no matter whose birthday it is! Gotta have cake!

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 7:32am
post #51 of 83

If you can believe it, I'm really not a "cake person." Pie, I could eat a piece of pie everyday of my life. icon_smile.gif So, for my birthday, oh, a piece of lemon meringue, banana cream, pecan, cherry, strawberry rhubarb would do nicely. Or, strawberry shortcake would be great. My extended family finally has gotten the hint I don't care for cake and had something different for me this year...funny I don't remember what. Now had it been a cake, I wouldn't have forgotten or what it looked like..what is THAT all about?! icon_lol.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:22pm
post #52 of 83

I'm the same as auntbeesbaking, I'd rather have birthday pie than cake! But usually I get an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen or Baskin Robbins. icon_biggrin.gif They are my guilty pleasures

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #53 of 83

Chocolate meringue or brown sugar meringue or coconut cream PIE

snowynight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowynight Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:14pm
post #54 of 83

I am not a cake person since I make so many and I can't have ice cream because of the lactose thing. So for my birthday I get tiramasu.(sp) That is my special request every year.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:35pm
post #55 of 83

Every year for my birthday, I have to have a homemade cake -- and since I was about 7 years old, always the same one: a recipe handed down from my grandmother. I usually bake it myslef, but one year, my husband and son surprised me by baking it for me. They did a great job! I cried.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:22am
post #56 of 83

I prefer to make my own birthday cake and have a huge dessert table.

cutthecake Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:56pm
post #57 of 83

My husband always HATES to pick out a birthday cake for me. He says I don't like any of them. I love chocolate cake with fudgey chcocolate filling and chocolate buttercream, but I have yet to find a bakery or restaurant cake that measures up. So I usually make my own.

Does anyone have a GREAT fudgey chocolate filling/frosting recipe?

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:42am
post #58 of 83

I make everyone's birthday cake so for my own birthday I love the cookies and cream ice cream cake from Coldstone Creamery, its the only time of year that I have it and it's great.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:07am
post #59 of 83

No cake for me. I'd rather have a cold watermelon poolside. My birthday is in July and it's usually 95* here then.

Then again, if I was on death row and was allowed to choose one last meal...I'd tell them to bring me an ice cold watermelon. I know I'm strange. icon_biggrin.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:14am
post #60 of 83

Give me a big piece of cheesecake....I'd be a happy birthday girl!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%