Clay Extruder?

Decorating By StaceyCakes75 Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 12:40am by ceshell

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 15

What kind of clay extruder would you buy...hand squeezing one or top twisting? I can see pros and cons to both types. The Hand squeezing one allows you to have your other hand free so you can place the fondant while it come out. The one that twist at the top seems smaller and may not hold enough fondant or GP. Would love anyone opppinons
Thanks

14 replies
Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 15

Actually, I have and use both types. I can't say there are really big differences in them except being able to have your one hand free with the squeeze one. My twist top one holds more gumpaste than the squeeze one but I have never had an issue with the squeeze one not holding enough GP for whatever I am using it for. The squeeze one is easier to take apart and clean. HTH.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 15

I use the squeeze handle one and love it.

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 15

For me, the Makins (green) type twist extruder is much easier to use. I've just started using them on fondant, have been a polymer clay artist for 20+ years and I HATE the push type. I actually have retrofitted a caulking gun to push the plunger for me. Much easier on my hands. There is also a much larger new trigger type gun available now with a wide variety of shape plates.

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 15

I have the squeeze handle one, but haven't used it yet.
One question though: Do you have to put Crisco or something on the sides so it doesn't stick?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 15

You need to mix some crisco in with either type of clay gun.

I have tried the little silver plunger one, and there is just no way that i can use this, it was a waste of $$ good thing it wasn't too expensive, my hands just can't take it.

Then i saw the green makin one in action and bought that, it works wonderfully and i'm not at all sorry i spent the money on it.

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 15

Which green Makin one? I know there are several models out there.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensor

Which green Makin one? I know there are several models out there.

I didn't realize there was more then one, it green metal with a twist top plunger. Runs about $25-$30 i think.

divaessence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaessence Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 15

I just bought the Makins Ultimate Clay Extruder and hope to try it out this weekend. I have heard good things about it ... and I got it for 40% off at Hobby Lobby with a coupon!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 15

The one that divaessence bought is the "right" one. It's such a great price if you live near a Hobby Lobby. They don't have those out here and Michael's/Joann don't carry it anymore, so I had to buy mine online icon_cry.gif.

For those who use the squeeze handle, are you talking about a clay extruder or the su*gar*craft fondant gun? I haven't seen a squeeze handle clay extruder but then again I might be looking in the wrong places icon_rolleyes.gif. I like my Makin's twist-top just fine but occasionally I have wished for a squeeze handle, like if you are trying to do some kind of rope border. It can be challenging to make a giant fondant rope and then try to get it on the cake w/o stretching it to oblivion. Still, I've heard that the squeeze handle (the sugar gun; I don't know about the clay gun version) can be hard on the hands.

badkitty Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

For those who use the squeeze handle, are you talking about a clay extruder or the su*gar*craft fondant gun? I haven't seen a squeeze handle clay extruder but then again I might be looking in the wrong places icon_rolleyes.gif.

Polymer Clay Express makes a squeeze handle type and they now have it with a large stainless barrel designed for fondant! I use the regular clay version with my clay and it's not exceptionally hard on my hands, and the clay is harder to extrude than fondant. I have not however gotten my hands on the food version yet.

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 15

What is a clay extruder, what is it used for?

badkitty Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #13 of 15

It's basically a tube with a plunger for making long uniform snakes of fondant or gumpaste. Originally intended for use with polymer or ceramic clay, most are made of stainless steel so they work wonderful with fondant/gp. Much easier to get those thin spaghetti like strands this way than rolling them by hand or cutting from a flat sheet. And they come with an assortment of discs in different sizes and shapes so they can be very versatile.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:14pm
post #14 of 15

I use the Makin's (green one) as well. I love it. What I do is twist the handle for a while until I get a bunch of extra rope out. And then I get somehing that is the same level as the cake that I'm working on, and I set the clay extruder on that. So that the rope is never dangling and streching. Hope this makes sense.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 12:40am
post #15 of 15

Further to what badkitty said, an extruder is practically a necessity if you want to make realistic "hair" for fondant/gp figures like this http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1300279&sub=1350339. I also use it to make ropes with which I can do decorative fondant lettering thumbs_up.gif.

The green Makins T top we're talking about comes with 20 discs with holes of varying diameters so that you can extrude fondant as thin as "hair" to about as fat as a pencil. As badkitty mentioned, it also has some different shapes such as a hexagon, etc. It's the second Makins extruder on left of this page http://www.polyclayplay.com/Products/Extruder/ProdClayGun.htm.

It retails for about $29 but if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, it's only $17.50 plus tax with the coupon. If you don't have a HL in your region, the above place had the best price I could find once shipping was factored in.

Happy extruding!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%