Fondant Nightmare!

Decorating By colagal Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm by cylstrial

colagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colagal Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 3

I was asked to make a celebration of life cake for a friend's mother who recently passed away. She loved carnations, blue. I sculpted the cae into a clay pot and lightly iced with BC. Covered it with terra cotta color fondant after I had froze the cake. The fondant immediately started to sweat. I completed the cake with oreo and fudge topping as the dirt. I constructed carnations, blue-tinged, out of fondant and attached them with leaves into the pot. I could not figure out how to get that fondant from not sweating. Well, I added a fan, not too close, and sure enough it is starting to set. Whew! I thought this would have been the end. I now know to only stick the cake in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before sculpting and then leave it at room temperature before covering in fondant.
LL

2 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:00am
post #2 of 3

Sorry you had issues! The cake looks very nice. Sometimes the best lessons are learned through trial and error!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 3

Glad that the fan helped. It is ok to freeze your cakes - you just have to give them several hours to thaw out.

Or you can stick them in the freezer for 10 minutes and then carve, as you said.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%