Help! Whit Spots On My Green Cake!

Decorating By lizzie84 Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 3:54am by TexasSugar

lizzie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzie84 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 6

Hello--Newbie here,

I mada cake last night and frosted one layer in a bright green (incredible hulk). When I opened the cake keeper this morning, there are small white dots in my frosting. I just need to know (soon) if there is something wrong with the fronsting or if it is ok to use. Is it a separation issue? I've never had this happen before, although to be honest, I almost always have used white to ice the cakes. It also happened to my dk grey layer. Can I still use this frosting or do I have to start over?

5 replies
tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 6

Yes, you can still use the frosting. It has happened to me a few times. Some say it is from using salt or the brand of shortening. I had not used salt so that is not the reason.

lillermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillermom Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 6

I had this problem when my salt wasn't fully incorporated. The frosting is still good!

lizzie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzie84 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the replies--i just refrosted with the same frosting and am hoping for the best. It is for my 5 year old nephew. He is easy to please! So I gather that you both think I need to blend the frosting more? Is that right? I will try that next time. The only things is when I mix too much I get so many air bubbles. But I guess those can be smoothed out. Easier than having white spots on your cake! Thanks again--Sorry about the typos earlier--I was freaked!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 6

Cake keeper? I would stay away from those things. Those are good for keping the cake fresh once it's been cut into. Cakes gotta breathe.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:54am
post #6 of 6

Purple is bad about spotting. Pink and blue do it occassionally as well.

There is nothing wrong with it. My thoughts is that instead of it being the salt (if you used it) or lumps of powder sugar or crisco that didn't get mixed in, it is actually your water. I think sometimes the chemicals in our water react with the icing colors and leave the spots. So you can use bottle water when you know you are going to make colors that tend to spot. Or you can just make them early and let them spot. Once you stir the spots back in you are good to go, they will not respot again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%