I bought one of the small pearl molds , and last night made a small string of small pearls, using white gumpaste.
I then applied some brushes of pearl dust over the entire string.
So now apart from looking a little sparkly i really dont feel they look very realistic.
Is there any recomendations to make pearls look more realistic?
I use fondant in mine. Some folks use a combination of fondant and candy clay which is chocolate + corn syrup --makes like a non stretchy rollable dough.
I mean I don't know why gum paste wouldn't look ok though.
What's wrong with them? What is it about them you don't like.
Can you do a picture?
Oh, did you maybe strecth them out removing them from the mold maybe?
You can steam them too--Hold them over steam for 3-4 seconds to set the dust. But I never do that--I don't think too many of us do but you could.
I mean they are to be used as a string--you din you cut them apart didja?
i didnt cut them apart and the actual pearls are formed fine, not stretched or squished.
The color / look of them to me looks like little white sparkly balls.
pearls to me gleam as opposed to sparkle.
does that make sense?
its not actually for a cake just a test of the mold and the dust.
What kinda dust didja get? The brand and name of it?
Super Pearl Dust by GSA
Hmmm. I dunno--works for moi!
You just must have a more discerning eye for pearls than I do--I mean they ain't gonna come out looking like G'ma's pearls but...
Ok one other thing--is that product listed as non-toxic or edible?
information isnt listed on global sugar art il have to check the product when i get home
I don't know.
I like my super pearled pearls.
Maybe you would like the candy clay/fondant combo better--I just mix mine half & half or whatver--I mean sometimes I just use plain candy clay too.
I mean they don't look that great if they're not on a cake--didja put 'em on a cake??? They are really pretty!!!
And you can squish 'em together a touch too if necessary. But often you need the spacing so they curve around the cake.
Wilton makes a white powder that is edible--I don't like it.. The other stuff, Super pearl, is non-toxic that was my point there.