Uncertain - Need Advice

Decorating By LULABEL Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm by LULABEL

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 13

I have been asked to make a cake like one in CC's gallery (pic included). But I have NO idea how to do it. Can anyone give advice or suggestions? Thank you so much.
LL

12 replies
minicuppie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 13

Doesn't look so much hard as time consuming. PM the artist and ask. Most bakers are like gardeners...always willing to answer questions.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 13

Roll out two fondant sheets* to dry several days or longer to place the edible image** pictures on with the three holes in each one.

Make the three ring binder pieces out of fondant so they can dry--paint them with gold luster dust.

Bake two cakes--decorate on the sides to look like book pages with a cake comb.

Put all that stuff on an inflexible cake board.

And I think you need an airbrush to get that same effect. But you could get a similar effect with brushing on dusts.

*I use extra cornstarch in my fondant so it dries nice. Some might use half fondant and half gum paste.

**edible images are just printed on a regular but dedicated printer that is equipped with edible paper and ink. But you could use real photos that were laminated.

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately though the person that posted the pic on CC did not make the cake. Her husband had purchased it for her birthday. I wonder though if she still might be able to give me some idea of how it was constructed?

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 13

K8memphis

Thanks that really helps. I wondered if was two cakes put together (which I was leaning towareds) or if they had used the book cake pan. Thanks again.

minicuppie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 13

See K8's directions. Nice and simple and will work great.

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 13

How would you make the corner taps that go around the pictures? Fondant?

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 13

You're welcome. It's a very well done awesome cake. It made me smile-

But it is also very straight forward--don't forget to make the binder 'cover on the bottom.

You could fake it with strips placed around the cakes or you could roll out a big full sheet of fondant for it. Or you could roll out the big sheet and remove the middle.

Thousands of ways to do things huh.

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 13

The corners are probably just little fondant triangles. Use a square cutter and then cut the squares in half.

You might want to put a thin sheet of fondant under each edible image so it's raised up more like a real photograph...but only if you're really worried about details icon_biggrin.gif

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 13

I did not think about rolling out the bottom binder and cutting out the middle. I will probably just roll it out and be done with it. lol So to make the three rings going across I should use 100% fondant and lay it over a glass or something to get the curve? Will they be strong enough once they are dried to stand up like that? I have only worked with fondant twice and it was very basic flat designs.

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 13

Texas - Rose

Thank you that is a great idea!

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LULABEL

I did not think about rolling out the bottom binder and cutting out the middle. I will probably just roll it out and be done with it. lol So to make the three rings going across I should use 100% fondant and lay it over a glass or something to get the curve? Will they be strong enough once they are dried to stand up like that? I have only worked with fondant twice and it was very basic flat designs.

I would use all fondant.
I would probably lay them out like u's myself.
But the glass thing would work too.

You might want to go the 50/50 gum paste fondant thing.

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 13

K8memphis

I just read up on using 50 fondant and 50 gumpaste. I think I will do that for the three rings. I have never used gumpaste so I am sorta nervous but I think they might be a little stronger that way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%