Uncertain - Need Advice

Decorating By LULABEL Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm by LULABEL

LULABEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 13

I have been asked to make a cake like one in CC's gallery (pic included). But I have NO idea how to do it. Can anyone give advice or suggestions? Thank you so much.
LL

12 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 13

Doesn't look so much hard as time consuming. PM the artist and ask. Most bakers are like gardeners...always willing to answer questions.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 13

Roll out two fondant sheets* to dry several days or longer to place the edible image** pictures on with the three holes in each one.

Make the three ring binder pieces out of fondant so they can dry--paint them with gold luster dust.

Bake two cakes--decorate on the sides to look like book pages with a cake comb.

Put all that stuff on an inflexible cake board.

And I think you need an airbrush to get that same effect. But you could get a similar effect with brushing on dusts.

*I use extra cornstarch in my fondant so it dries nice. Some might use half fondant and half gum paste.

**edible images are just printed on a regular but dedicated printer that is equipped with edible paper and ink. But you could use real photos that were laminated.

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately though the person that posted the pic on CC did not make the cake. Her husband had purchased it for her birthday. I wonder though if she still might be able to give me some idea of how it was constructed?

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 13

K8memphis

Thanks that really helps. I wondered if was two cakes put together (which I was leaning towareds) or if they had used the book cake pan. Thanks again.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 13

See K8's directions. Nice and simple and will work great.

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 13

How would you make the corner taps that go around the pictures? Fondant?

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 13

You're welcome. It's a very well done awesome cake. It made me smile-

But it is also very straight forward--don't forget to make the binder 'cover on the bottom.

You could fake it with strips placed around the cakes or you could roll out a big full sheet of fondant for it. Or you could roll out the big sheet and remove the middle.

Thousands of ways to do things huh.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 13

The corners are probably just little fondant triangles. Use a square cutter and then cut the squares in half.

You might want to put a thin sheet of fondant under each edible image so it's raised up more like a real photograph...but only if you're really worried about details icon_biggrin.gif

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 13

I did not think about rolling out the bottom binder and cutting out the middle. I will probably just roll it out and be done with it. lol So to make the three rings going across I should use 100% fondant and lay it over a glass or something to get the curve? Will they be strong enough once they are dried to stand up like that? I have only worked with fondant twice and it was very basic flat designs.

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 13

Texas - Rose

Thank you that is a great idea!

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LULABEL

I did not think about rolling out the bottom binder and cutting out the middle. I will probably just roll it out and be done with it. lol So to make the three rings going across I should use 100% fondant and lay it over a glass or something to get the curve? Will they be strong enough once they are dried to stand up like that? I have only worked with fondant twice and it was very basic flat designs.

I would use all fondant.
I would probably lay them out like u's myself.
But the glass thing would work too.

You might want to go the 50/50 gum paste fondant thing.

LULABEL Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 13

K8memphis

I just read up on using 50 fondant and 50 gumpaste. I think I will do that for the three rings. I have never used gumpaste so I am sorta nervous but I think they might be a little stronger that way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%