Do You Have To Cover A Wilton Cake Board?

Decorating By LittleLinda Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm by Doug

LittleLinda Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 6

I bought Wilton round cake boards. They are white on top and natural cardboard on the bottom. I was surprised to see instructions on the back of the package about covering them. Do you HAVE to cover them?

5 replies
indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 6

They look prettier. If they are not wax-coated, I would cover them. Otherwise the fat from your icing will seep into the cardboard and look terrible .... like this shower cake i did for my niece and I forgot to cover the board (how the heck do ya forget to cover the board? icon_eek.gif )
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1216692

cookie_fun Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 6

Like indydeb said, you definitely want to cover the board! The grease stain completely detracts from your cake!

BTW, indydeb, I consider you one of my personal heros, and a cake superstar, so to know you have done this too made me feel a little better by my mistake on my cake.
LL

LittleLinda Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 6

But, I'm talking about a round cake board the same size as the cake with virtually no overlap. That cake with the board under it is going to sit on the Wilton Crystal clear divider plate which will be a little larger than the cake. The bottom border will cover any remnant of the cardboard. In THAT case, do you have to cover the board?

indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

But, I'm talking about a round cake board the same size as the cake with virtually no overlap. That cake with the board under it is going to sit on the Wilton Crystal clear divider plate which will be a little larger than the cake. The bottom border will cover any remnant of the cardboard. In THAT case, do you have to cover the board?

I dont'.

Doug Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 6

no, don't need to cover that since it will sit on the plastic plate.

however, I have found in the past that if not covered and then used in a stacked cake construction with dowel support, it CAN get soft enough to no longer be totally trustworthy.

I just over in saran warp if concerned when using inside a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%