Pre-Packaged Rkt Still Too Soft....need Another Suggestion

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm by cathie_shinnick

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:34am
post #1 of 8

I used the pre-packaged RKT to make the top 1/4 if a wine bottle ( the top rounded part and the neck) I made it yesterday morning and it is still very soft. I was going to put the bottle together this morning frost it and cover it in fondant. Now im not sure if I should wait, make another top or just do it!!!! Will it get harder? I live in the North East and it has been very very humid could that be the reason? Does anyone have another suggestion? I am traveling 150 miles tonight, and want to have the cake completely done. Please someone help me.

7 replies
JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:52am
post #2 of 8

Is it not holding it's shape? I'm using RKT for a project today, if it needs to be crunchy and stiff I'm in big doo-doo because that may take days!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 8

I always make my own RKT and when they are to soft what I do is put them in a zip lock bag and place it in the micowave just to heat though then shape it and let it sit for a little while that heipls it harden a little, try it on a little of your RKT and see if that helps it works for me but like I say I usally make my own. good luck I hope it works

Molly

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 8

I always make my own RKT and when they are to soft what I do is put them in a zip lock bag and place it in the micowave just to heat though then shape it and let it sit for a little while that heipls it harden a little, try it on a little of your RKT and see if that helps it works for me but like I say I usally make my own. good luck I hope it works

Molly

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 8

You can also put it in the oven with the light on to help speed drying - just make sure no one turns the oven on to preheat for anything!!

cathie_shinnick Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 8

I had a fan on it all day yesterday, no help. I put it in the oven last night with just the light on, no luck....
It is holding the shape but very soft.I put a dowel in it so when I lay the finished bottle down, it wont get limp. I guess I wont know until I try.......

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 8

Last time i used them and they didn't want to hold well, i covered with melted chocolate then after dry covered with my fondant.

cathie_shinnick Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm
post #8 of 8

Great idea.......Thanks so much.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%