Teapot Cake Help

Decorating By Anita-Cakes Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 11:15pm by ivymeister

Anita-Cakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:46am
post #1 of 6

I'd like to make a teapot cake and need some guidance. I baked the cake using the Wilton ball pan. Now how do I make the spout and handle? What should I use, fondant or gumpaste? I've worked with fondant but not gumpaste, but willing to learn for this project.

Also, I want to make a tea cup & saucer. How do I make these pieces? Should I use a mold or construct it from circles and rectangles?

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Anita

5 replies
xstitcher Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:57am
post #2 of 6

I'd use gumpaste. It will dry harder and faster than fondant. You could also use a 50/50 combo or add tylose (or gumtex if you can't get tylose) to your fondant.

Here's a tutorial on how to make a teacup.
http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-gumpaste-teacup.html

Loucinda Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 6

I use 50/50 - plain fondant will not work well. Watch how big you make them, some folks make the spout and handle way too big and they don't look right. I also use toothpicks to secure mine into the cake (spagetti if it is a kids cake)

There is an excellent article in this months ACD for the teacup and saucer by Kim Morrison. She did a demo on it at ICES - and hers are gorgeous!

Anita-Cakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:38am
post #4 of 6

Oh thank you so much. This is very helpful. Love the website. Lot's to learn.

Questions: What is pastillage?

Anita

xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:49am
post #5 of 6

Pastillage is a sugar dough but I believe it dries faster than gum paste so you have to work even more quickly than you already have to with gum paste.

ivymeister Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 6

My teapot came out...ok. Its posted on my pictures. I wasnt happy, but not terribly disapointed either...it was harder than i thought. Thanks for the help! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%