First Time Working With Cake Dummy---Any Tips???

Decorating By Kazoot Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 4:11am by Donnabugg

Kazoot Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:26am
post #1 of 17

I am making my daughter's wedding cake. She wants a 4 tier, but it is a very small wedding and I have ordered a 12 inch cake dummy--square. Her cake will be a 6x8x10x12 Square. I could not go with the standard 4 inch difference in the layers, as I no longer have my spare fridge!!!! icon_cry.gif My other fridge is a side by side and it is just wide enough to hold this! LOL Anyhow...........this is my first time stacking a cake dummy. Do any of you have tips for me???? (Other than if it was a real cake!!! icon_lol.gif

16 replies
indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:54am
post #2 of 17

Pretend the styro is a big cardboard. Just set the 10" on top of it and go. No doweling, no center dowel, nothing special. Easy peasy!

Jen80 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:55am
post #3 of 17

If you're covering it in fondant, dampen the dummy with water or use only a slight smear of buttercream so the icing sticks.

As for stacking and attaching to the board, I'm not sure.

Loucinda Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 17

IMO - it is best to get the dummy as smooth as you can before you cover it. I just use another piece of styrofoam to "sand" the spots that need it. An iron and a piece of wax paper (set the iron on low!) will get the tops really nice and smooth too. You just put the wax paper on it and iron it gently - works like a charm.

indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

IMO - it is best to get the dummy as smooth as you can before you cover it.


What kind of styro's do you use? The ones I get are always smooth as ice. icon_confused.gif

Kazoot Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 17

What great tips! Thanks. Indydebi, will it transport ok with no center dowel. It will be all buttercream, no fondant.

indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoot

What great tips! Thanks. Indydebi, will it transport ok with no center dowel. It will be all buttercream, no fondant.




yes. I do it all the time. The BC on top of the dummy is the glue that holds the upper tier in place. I just consider the bottom dummy tier a big cake stand. Love it!

Loucinda Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:52am
post #8 of 17

The ones I get locally are hand cut by the man who owns the cake store. There are usually a flat or rough area on them. The ones I bought at ICES got some nicks in them transporting them home, so they will need a little sanding too. I guess I am not lucky enough to get perfect ones each time! icon_sad.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

The ones I get locally are hand cut by the man who owns the cake store. There are usually a flat or rough area on them. The ones I bought at ICES got some nicks in them transporting them home, so they will need a little sanding too. I guess I am not lucky enough to get perfect ones each time! icon_sad.gif




If you ever decide to order some from (that great company in Texas), you'll love 'em!

Kazoot Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #10 of 17

THANKS ALL!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #11 of 17

Indy - I did get some from there at ICES - they are really nice, a lot better than the ones I get locally! I wish I had gotten to his booth earier though, he sold everything but the 12" squares. I bought all he had left - I just will order from him from now on. (I just didn't like to pay the shipping!)

Kazoot Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:13pm
post #12 of 17

Just a follow up. Everything went great. I had no trouble with the styrofoam at all. Thanks to everyone.

divaessence Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:30pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

[quote="
If you ever decide to order some from (that great company in Texas), you'll love 'em!




There's also a good little place in Oklahoma to buy from (in my hometown). I just bought my first set from them. They were great to work with ... and had super fast delivery. icon_smile.gif

sarahokie Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by divaessence

There's also a good little place in Oklahoma to buy from (in my hometown). I just bought my first set from them. They were great to work with ... and had super fast delivery. icon_smile.gif




What place in OK is this? Do they have a website?

Donnabugg Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:21am
post #15 of 17

I just ordered my first set from a company in Dallas. I'm anxious to get them and start using them! May be a silly question...but is there a need to put an initial thin layer and let crust before putting final layer of buttercream?

Also, it would be GREAT if we could see some pictures of the cakes that have been done using dummies!! Thanks ya'll!

(Didn't mean to take over the post!) icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:38am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnabugg

Also, it would be GREAT if we could see some pictures of the cakes that have been done using dummies!! Thanks ya'll!




Square covered with fondant: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1422576

Square BC; top tier wrapped in white chocolate squares: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1264153

Round with pillars; BC: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=310533

M&M cake on acrylic stands; BC: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=415413

Round, BC, Stacked: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=408673

Square BC basketweave: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1195242

Donnabugg Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:11am
post #17 of 17

Thank you for posting those! Your cakes look totally real!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%