Mario Bros Cake. Need Help

Decorating By sasarivera Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 5:27am by xstitcher

sasarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasarivera Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:07am
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

My kids birthday is on September 12 and they asked me to make them a Mario bros cake for their birthday. We were looking on internet and found this cake:

They felt in love with it as I did. they will like to have this topper in the cake (instead of the original one)

I always made the cakes for them but this will be the first time doing the figures. I've been searching on internet for a couple of weeks now and the information is kind of overwhelming, so I'm hoping you can help me out with some questions I have:

1. I know for a fact that the kids will eat the whole cake (figures included), so I was wondering if I can make the side figures with just fondant (I will be using Satin Ice). Will they hold? I know that if I mix it with gumpaste will hold for sure, but I also read that it doesn't taste very good.

2. In case I can use just fondant. How much time in advance can I make the figures? Should I store them in air tight containers? I live in Toronto and the humidity is not that bad this year. Please keep in mind that they are going to be eaten by children and I don't want upset tummies or very upset mommies.

3. I was planning to do the bushes and the clouds with royal icing instead of fondant. Is that a bad idea?

4. For the topper can I make it with just fondant too? or I have to use the gumpaste.

Sorry to ask so many question but I just want to make a cake that all kids will enjoy.

and thank in advance for all your help,

Sandra

6 replies
cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:47am
post #2 of 7

Molded mario with rice crispies this was my version of the same cake pic you have. Client was able to find the mario toys and she bought them to put on her cake. Just use piped buttercream for the clouds with a big round tip.
LL

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:53am
post #3 of 7

heres the front view if you make mario with fondant it will be very heavy its easier to mold rice crispies then cover with fondant and put the pieces together.
LL

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 7

two words : MODELING CHOCOLATE! There are a whole bunch of threads about modeling chocolate right now, but I will say it again. It is easy to make, easy to work with, delicious, and won't break their teeth out.

sasarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasarivera Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:52am
post #5 of 7

I'll search about modeling chocolate.
Thanks,
Sandra

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:11am
post #6 of 7

I agree!! Make it out of modeling chocolate!! You can buy the red chocolate melts from Michaels and follow the Wilton's candy clay recipe for the red on Mario. It tastes wonderful, but stiffens up nicely to hold the shape you need!! Gumpaste is gross because it's all crunchy...modeling chocolate is the way to go!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:27am
post #7 of 7

You have several options available to you. You can make it out of fondant (but you may run into the possibility of sagging), gp dries harder and faster so it is a better choice although it is technically edible it is on the hard side so you don't want the possibility of someone breaking a tooth. However you could just save it as a keepsake too instead of eating it. RKT is also a good option but make sure you either roll the fondant thicker to hide any bumps, or put on 2 thinner layers, or coat with bc or chocolate 1st. Modeling chocolate of course is another great option. For the clouds and bush you could use RI and make it in advance, you could make it with fondant or modeling chocolate and apply it to the cake fairly quickly so you can bend it to the shape of the cake or you could just pipe it with bc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%