Airbrush Opinions

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 1:47am by soygurl

tootie0809 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #1 of 23

I'm finally ready to buy an airbrush and am not sure which one to go with. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

22 replies
azlecakelady Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:11am
post #2 of 23

The red airmaster Kopykake compressor and the Kopykake airbrush are awesome. I had the old, small, black Kopykake compressor and my airbrush wouldn't work any more, even with all the cleaning in the world. It was all clogged up with the shimmer colors that are so popular now. I gave in and finally bought the red compressor. I hooked up my old airbrush to it and it blew out all the clogged up shimmer colors. Now it works awesome! I wish I would have bought it sooner!

tootie0809 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:48am
post #3 of 23

The red Kopykake is the one I'm leaning towards. I'm glad to hear you love yours. Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

Molly2 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 23

I have the red one also from kopykakes and love it as long as you clean it after every use you should have no problem (Kopykake Airmaster Plus)

http://www.kopykake.com/ac_compressor_airmaster.html

Molly thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 23

I have the GREX one, it is so much easier to use than the one I used to have. I never knew about them until I saw it demo'd at ICES. I have the one that has the trigger pull on it, which for me is a LOT easier to use than the finger on the top pushing and pulling back. I can get so precise with this one, I could sign a check with it if I wanted to.

Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 23

I also have the Kopykake Airmaster and I love it!!

vicki3336 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 23

Loucinda:

Which model GREX do you have? I looked at their website and couldn't figure out which one you were talking about. TIA

NancyS Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:33am
post #8 of 23

I use the Kopykake Airmaster and love it!

Loucinda Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 23

I have the Tritium TS3 - here is the link:

http://www.grexusa.com/grexairbrush/tritium.php5

It is the one with the trigger pull, and you can move the cup from one side to the other (and the cup has a lid)

You can get them at Dick Blicks cheaper than what I paid for it at ICES.

vicki3336 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:58pm
post #10 of 23

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I like the cup being on the side so you can see what you are doing more easily. I've just got to figure out how to justify a new toy!

soygurl Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

It is the one with the trigger pull, and you can move the cup from one side to the other (and the cup has a lid)

Oooo... that's pretty.... icon_eek.gificon_razz.gificon_twisted.gif

What compressor do you have?

xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:42am
post #12 of 23
Quote:

I checked out Dick Blicks but couldn't find it, is this what you have, and do you think it's a good price? Also, do you have a recommendation for a compressor as well.

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/trduacpistai.html

TIA!

Loucinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #13 of 23

Here is a link to it on Dickblick.com - scroll down to the list, mine is the XS model, and I sure wish I had seen them there first!

http://www.dickblick.com/products/grex-airbrushes/#photos

I paid a lot more than that for mine. (but I got it at ICES) Dickblicks is the most reasonable place to get it IMO.

I have a badger compressor - got it at Michaels with a 50% off coupon a couple of years ago. GREX sells adaptors for about any of the compressors out there. That is one thing I really like about them, they don't make it so you HAVE to buy all of their products.

soygurl Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:22am
post #14 of 23
Quote:

Here is a link to it on Dickblick.com - scroll down to the list, mine is the XS model, and I sure wish I had seen them there first!

http://www.dickblick.com/products/grex-airbrushes/#photos

I paid a lot more than that for mine. (but I got it at ICES) Dickblicks is the most reasonable place to get it IMO.

I have a badger compressor - got it at Michaels with a 50% off coupon a couple of years ago. GREX sells adaptors for about any of the compressors out there. That is one thing I really like about them, they don't make it so you HAVE to buy all of their products.

I'm confused... earlier you said you have the Grex TS3 with the trigger pull, but just now you said you have the XS, which does NOT have the trigger pull. Did you mean the XT (an older version of the TS series)? icon_confused.gif

Loucinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:45am
post #15 of 23

I am so sorry, you are right. I was just looking at the pictures. icon_redface.gif I have the Tritium TS 3. The number in there is the size of the needle you buy.

Here is a pic of the airbrush I have -
LL

soygurl Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:56pm
post #16 of 23

Ok that make sense. No worries! But yeah, dick blick doesn't carry any of the Tritium series. icon_sad.gif They have the XT which has the trigger pull, but is missing some of the other features of the TS. Thanks for posting about it and giving all the links! The TS is totally going on my list of cake toys I REALLY want, but can't afford, lol! icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:49am
post #17 of 23

Hey, that makes ME feel better, after knowing what I paid for it and seeing the prices on the ones at Dickblicks! icon_lol.gif I got the airbrush, the regulator, the adaptor and the holder for $299. I had my heart set on getting an agbay while I was there, but no one carried them......sooooo since I had the extra money on me, and I REALLY liked the GREX, it was an easy call for me. icon_wink.gif I really do not regret it one bit, it is a wonderful tool - and did I mention it has a 6 year warranty?

ktbug Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #18 of 23

I am new to the whole airbrush thing. Could you use it for sencils instead of royal icing? Cound you airbrush a whole layer black, instead of breaking an arm triying to mix it in. I think I would really enjoy having one, just wondering what all the possabilities were. Thanks, Kati

NancyS Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:43pm
post #19 of 23

I'm not a pro with an airbrush, but you could airbrush over a stencil, it just gives you more of a 'flat' look (instead of the dimensional look of piping). You could also airbrush black, etc., but it's recommended to start with a darker color fondant to offset any flaws (eg. if you do black, start with a grey fondant...if you airbrush red, start with pink fondant). This is subjective. Some people just spray right on white fondant.

Any way you look at it, an airbrush is fabulous.

ktbug Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #20 of 23

How does airbrushing work on BC? Also I was looking at airbrushes today and noticed there is single and double action. What is the difference? Thanks for all the help!

Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:39am
post #21 of 23

Single action means the air blows all the time, you just push the nozzle for the color.

Double action means you have control over the air and the color both - you will usually push down for the air and back for the color.

With the GREX - the trigger does both - it works beautifully!

greengyrl26 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:05am
post #22 of 23

Loucinda:
I know this is an old post, but I'm working on my Christmas wish list, and an airbrush is definitely on it! I'm really thinking it'll be the Grex, but I have a question. I noticed that yours has cup on the side, and I originally thought I wanted just the gravity flow one on the top. Is there a specific reason that you chose the side one? I read somewhere that it isn't as easy to clean as the cup on the top??? Just curious and hoping you can help.
Thanks!!!

soygurl Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:47am
post #23 of 23

I don't remember if it was posted earlier in this thread or in another one, but I remember reading that the side cup is good because the one on top is often directly in your line of vision for what you're painting, and the side one doesn't get it the way.
I sill haven't gotten one so no personal experience, but that seems like a pretty good reason to me. Then again, I heard someone say something about the side cup one's being harder to balance in your hand, but I imagine one would get used to that? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%