Uggg! Help! Help! Help!

Decorating By adflorea Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm by newmansmom2004

adflorea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adflorea Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:06am
post #1 of 18

I have a cake due tomorrow and have had nothing but problems with it! It's a red velvet covered with cream cheese frosting. I have frosted this darn thing twice! It was sliding so I scraped the frosting and made a different batch/ recipe. Guess what? I thought it was doing better but after decorating it, it's sliding again! I'm in air conditioning so, it's not the heat. I don't normally use cream cheese, I use sugar shack's BC. What do I do? Throw it at the wall, sell it this way, replace it w/ BC even though cream cheese was ordered? WHAT DO I DO? HELP!!!!

17 replies
arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #2 of 18

Put the cream cheese in the mixer, beat the heck out of it until it's soft and kind of fluffy. Once you get to that point, start adding SS's bc to it one large spoonful at a time, tasting after each spoonful to see make sure it still tastes like crm cheese. You end up with a good ratio of bc which helps firm up the cream cheese but you still retain the taste. That's what I do anyway, hope it helps.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:22am
post #3 of 18

Did you use low- or no-fat cream cheese? If you did, the frosting will be runny.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:43am
post #4 of 18

I have done the same as arosstx -- I mix the 2 together. I never have good luck getting cream cheese icing to stay on cakes - no matter what recipe or how much powdered sugar I had. But mixing with the bcream helps alot.

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 18

I make my regular buttercream and then add extra powdered sugar and the cream cheese...Kind of a hybrid frosting....No complaints...tastes just like a regular cream cheese frosting....

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 18

Here's the cream cheese recipe I used on an outdoor wedding cake in July. It held up wonderfully, even on cake that was left outside all night. (and got tossed out.)

Just omit the lime ingredients, maybe add water in place of lime juice?

Key Lime Cream cheese icing

2 (8 oz) package cream cheese softened

3/4 c. butter softened

2 T. milk

1 T. Key lime zest

1/4 c. key lime juice

1 T. vanilla extract

2 1/2 lbs confectioners sugar

In a mixer cream together cream cheese and butter. Then add milk mix on high for about 30 seconds then put mixer on low. Then add vanilla and key lime juice while mixing and slowly add confectioners sugar mix until creamy and spreadable, fold in zest and ice cake.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 18

The wedding crusting cream cheese icing on this site is superb....crusts well, tastes amazing. I'll try to find the link.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6817-Wedding---Crusting-Cream-Cheese-Frosting.html

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 18

That key lime frosting sounds amazing!!

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 18

I use the decorators cream cheese buttercream recipe on this site. Holds up wonderfully, I have never had a problem with it. If you are short on time, I guess I would fill it with the cream cheese and frost the outside with what you regularly use. hth

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

The wedding crusting cream cheese icing on this site is superb....crusts well, tastes amazing. I'll try to find the link.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6817-Wedding---Crusting-Cream-Cheese-Frosting.html

I use this same recipe and it works very well

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #11 of 18

I just used the cream cheese frosting from Earlene Moore for the first time today, it tasted wonderful and was easy to work with. It crusted a lot faster than Sugarshack's recipe - I will try making a hybrid of the two for the next time. I LOVE the Sugarshack recipe, but didn't know what to do for the cream cheese request.

Mrs_Burns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs_Burns Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 18

I tried to make red velvet from scratch it turned out tasting terrible, i had to throw it away and finally had to settle for duncan hines cake box mix, it taste great but keeps falling apart, then my cream cheese icing is sliding all over the place, i am having a terrible time with everything i try with this cake, i wish to never have to make red velvet cake again!!! i totally feel your pain!! Good Luck!!!!

arosstx Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:51pm
post #13 of 18

Welcome to CC Mrs Burns! I had to do a red velvet cake with concave, topsy-turvy looked sloped sides so I wanted something not so "soft." I tried the "Red Velvet Redux" recipe here on CC, and it was really tasty (for Red Velvet - I'm not a fan), and firm enough to carve without being too heavy. Maybe it will work for you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:59pm
post #14 of 18

I hate working with cream cheese icing. It tends to be sticky and hard to smooth. Just did a 5-tier cake today iced in cream cheese. It smoothed out ok, but I dont like the way the icing ends up looking.

arosstx Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:02pm
post #15 of 18

I only offer it as a filling. The way I see it, if you're doing a big cake anyway, not that many people are gonna get the icing on the OUTSIDE of the cake, but EVERYONE will get the filling!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

I only offer it as a filling. The way I see it, if you're doing a big cake anyway, not that many people are gonna get the icing on the OUTSIDE of the cake, but EVERYONE will get the filling!

I may go to that just because I hate working with it.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:25pm
post #17 of 18

I never do cream cheese icing on the outside, just like aross said. Filling only.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #18 of 18

Cream cheese is my "go to" icing and I always put a couple tablespoons of meringue powder in it just to help it stay nice and solid. I make it pretty thick because it will run or slide if it's too thin. Haven't had one fail yet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%