Topsy Turvy Question

Decorating By TantalizingTreats Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm by tastyart

TantalizingTreats Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #1 of 14

Hi all.... Im about to attempt to do my second topsy turvy... the first one didn't turn out so well... so here's what I am wondering...

Who does the topsy turvy like the tutorial, where you cut out the center and place the above tier into it.. and how many of you just place the tiers on top of eachother? I would appreciate feedback on which way you think is the easiest way to do it.

Thanks in advance

13 replies
dutchy1971 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:25am
post #2 of 14

I've only done one topsy turvy. I cut out a hole to place the top tier in. The other way looks way too scary for me to attempt. Just by looking at the 2 different ways my opinion is the cut out hole is easier.

HTH and good luck

tastyart Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:37am
post #3 of 14

I've done 3 topsy-turvy cakes and used the hole in the lower tiers method(like the tutorial on CC). I didn't have any problems. I have two of them in my photos. It is a very sturdy way to construct a topsy cake.

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:50am
post #4 of 14

I make the hole as well. Not only do I think its easier for leveling, I also think it looks better.

tastyart Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 14

I like how that method gives you the option of having completely vertical sides or making them taper in at the bottom. I've done it both ways.

Clovers Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 14

Oh! Oh! While you are on this topic - I want to try my first one, but I have no idea how to go about getting fondant to cover the top AND into the hole nicely... is there a trick when flipping the fondant over and onto the cake to get it to cover into the hole and up the sides of the hole without it tearing etc? That's the only part that has me worried.. .

tastyart Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 14

cover just like a normal cake. Smooth the sides first. There will be air trapped in the hole. Cut a slice in the fondant in the area of the hole and press it down. The cut will not be seen once the other cake is stacked on top.

Clovers Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 14

I'm trying to picture the 'slice' part, but once I start to press it down, wouldn't the slice want to continue tearing from the pressure of being pressed on?? Would it work if I cut into the fondant and then sliced a circle out, then folded the rest of the fondant in to the sides? It would leave buttercream exposed, but the other cake would sit on it....

I just don't get the logisitics of the slice otherwise. (sorry, I can be difficult, I know)

dutchy1971 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 14

Clovers the way I did it is to take a tooth pick, poke little holes where you already cut the circle in the cake then ease the fondant into the hole, the holes you made with the toothpick allows the trapped air under the fondant to escape. Theres a you tube video I watched, it really helped me understand it all alot better. When I get home tonight I'll dig up the link for you

Clovers Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks a bunch! I'll see if I can find it in the meantime...

dutchy1971 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 14

there you go icon_smile.gif I hope it helps

tastyart Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 14

The toothpick holes achieve the same thing as the cut in the fondant. They let the air out so the fondant can sag down into the hole in the cake. Both the toothpick holes or the small cut will be covered by the cake on top. The tutorial here on CC also explaines this process.

Clovers Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 14

Oh thank you!!

I had seen the shorter version of that video before, but it never showed the fondant step! It makes more sense now.. I kept forgetting that the hole isn't all the way around - the one side is still flat. Thank you so much!

I have one last question - when doweling through the centre - when you drive the dowel through the middle, how do you make sure things don't collapse just from the force of having to get the dowel through the cake boards? I figured I would have to make a hole in each board the size of a quarter, then put the dowel through, then I wouldn't have to try to get it though the board, but I wouldn't have to be lined up dead-on with a small hole that I wouldn't be able to see.

tastyart Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #14 of 14

If you sharpen your dowel with a pencil sharpener it will go through the cardboard separators with just a little hammering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%