How Many Hydrangeas Do I Need?

Decorating By liha21 Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 2:07am by TOMAY

liha21 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:55am
post #1 of 10

I am doing a wedding cake and need to know how many bunches of hydrangeas to tell the bride to get for the cake. It is a 12" 10" and 6" rounds. The flowers go all around each tier with a small arangement on the top. I've only did one other cake with hydrangeas on it and I know that the 'bunch' from the florist is much bigger than what you would put on a cake, so I would be breaking it up into smaller pieces.
Anyone got any idea how I can figure this out?

Thanks in advance

9 replies
indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 10

YOu do know that hydrageas are a toxic flower, right? I wont' permit these flowers on my cakes .. silks only.

liha21 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 10

I did not know that, then how come you see them on cakes ALL the time? I see lots and lots of fresh ones on cakes. I will definately have to look into some other options.

juliebold Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 10

indydebi is right. they have arsenic in them. they should not go on cakes unless they are fake. Usegumpaste or silk ones.

indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 10

I recently met a florist and he mentioned that he loves doing weddings. I said, "So you're all in tune to floral toxicities, right?" He said "Yeah, poinsettas, callas ......" I said, "Hydrangeas." He said, "Hydrangeas?" icon_confused.gif

Some florists also think it's ok to plunge a flower into a cake, just like they do into a floral foam. Some florists think organic flowers are ok for a cake because they were GROWN without pesticides, but dont' think about how they were shipped and how they were handled in the flower shop (i.e. did they cross the same work bench that is covered with dirt and pesticides? Is the work bench food safe? THen being organic means nothiing.)

You see them on cakes because florists, brides and cake bakers dont' know. Becoming an educated baker puts you a step above the rest of them! thumbs_up.gif

juliebold Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 10

It is amazing how much florist don't know about toxics. That is why I spent the time to learn how to make gumpaste flowers. Most brides don't mind the price once you explain the toxics to them. And them can keep the gumpaste ones.

liha21 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:39am
post #7 of 10

Well, thank you so much for all your help. I will definately inform the bride and see if she wants to do silk instead. I haven't done gumpaste hydrangeas yet so I wouldn't want to do that for this one.
Thanks again.

indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #8 of 10

Silk flowers today are much different than the silks from our mothers and grandmothers day ..... they look really nice.

xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #9 of 10
TOMAY Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:07am
post #10 of 10

Make them in gum paste they are not hard to make I did this for my sister in laws wedding cake in my pictures , Also a note hydrengas wilt without water so if you pick them of the large stem without water they will all look dead within an hour , and oh yea toxic like everyoe else has posted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%