Best Buttercream For Under Fondant?

Decorating By Evoir Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 4:53am by madgeowens

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #1 of 5

Hi there

I have a wedding coming up where the bride is allergic to chocolate. She wants one of the three tiers of her cake to be a vanilla cake, no filling, with butter cream under the fondant.

The other two tiers will be chocolate and ganache under fondant - no problem.

What I need to know is what is the best buttercream to use under fondant? I will probably assemble the cake the day before the wedding, and so would prefer to have all three tiers ready two nights before the wedding ideally. Is there a buttercream that would suit staying outside of the fridge and be used under fondant without melting in room temperature?

I was originally thinking I'd use IMBC, but then I would have to refrigerate it to keep it firm enough to hold the fondant, right? icon_cry.gif

I've never done one like this so I would LOVE some advice!

TIA
Eve

4 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:18am
post #2 of 5

I have been using a crusting buttercream under my fondant cose that way it is firmer than the non crusting ones and stop the chance of it maybe oozing out the bottom but that's just me.

i use the one that uses butter instead of shortening and i have had no problem with leaving it out of the fridge and it being completely find under the fondant. Just once it crusts i sprits it lightly with water then lay the fondant on.

Also you can put it in the fridge for like 10 mins to firm up a bit instead of waiting for it to crust, then you can put the fondant on but don't worry cose it still doesn't go really squishy after you have left it out after the fridge

HTH in some way icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:29am
post #3 of 5

to make it even more confusing i just read someone said that they use IMBC under their fondant and havn't really had any problems with it

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:35am
post #4 of 5

I have been using Indydebi's crusting buttercream icing under fondant every time and never had an issue. I love it and have left cakes out with no problem at all.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:53am
post #5 of 5

I always use a buttercream thats crusts....and it works perfect....be sure and chill the cake in fridge prior to putting fondant on cake, its so much easier

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%