Another Smbc Question...

Decorating By KidMcWonder Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 1:37am by drakegore

KidMcWonder Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:23am
post #1 of 5

Is there a way to get a smoother cake with SMBC? I know it doesn't crust because it's butter and not Crisco. What about meringue powder? Would this work? Or would it leave a strange taste?

Sorry so many questions, but TIA!

4 replies
varika Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMcWonder

Is there a way to get a smoother cake with SMBC? I know it doesn't crust because it's butter and not Crisco. What about meringue powder? Would this work? Or would it leave a strange taste?

Sorry so many questions, but TIA!

Actually, it's got nothing to do with it being butter and not crisco, because I make American buttercream with all butter and it crusts up just fine. SMBC does not have nearly as much sugar in it as American BC, and thus it will never crust, or possibly it's because it's based on a meringue. Adding more meringue, powdered or otherwise, will do nothing to make it crust. It might make it soupier.

There is nothing you can do to make SMBC crust. However, if you put your SMBC-covered cake in the fridge until it's good and hard, you can smooth out your bumps much better with a fondant smoother and waxed--not parchment--paper.

drakegore Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 5

after i get my smbc as close to perfect as i can, i stick it in the fridge for a few minutes, then bring it back out and smooth it one more time with a gently warm (not hot...never hot as you will get streaks) metal bench scraper. it ends up smooth as glass.

KidMcWonder Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:54am
post #4 of 5

When you say "metal bench scraper", what exactly do you mean? I have a few spatulas and a couple of plastic paint smoothers....

Thanks for the responses, ladies!

drakegore Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:37am
post #5 of 5

i have a nice one that is meant for cakes, but i don't like it as well as the cheapy metal paint scraper thingy i bought at home depot icon_smile.gif. i think it's real name is a spackle knife. there are plastic versions of it, but they won't do as good as job on the final smooth as warm metal for smbc. i read a forum on cc long ago about using these and have been sold ever since.

if what i said doesn't make sense (i have been chasing my 6 year old at the beach all day and i am mental toast), let me know and i will take a picture of it tomorrow and put it on the thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%