White Streaks In Icing

Decorating By chicanos2g1 Updated 24 Aug 2005 , 4:48pm by SquirrellyCakes

chicanos2g1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chicanos2g1 Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 17

I made a regular batch of buttercream icing the same way I alway do it, but for some reason when I thinned it down I noticed white streaks in my icing. I am kind of new to cake decorating and wanted to know if anyone can tell me what is causing this

16 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 17

I've had this happen before too. I was wondering if it was old shortening. Did you use shortening or butter?

Debbie

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 17

I have had this happen before...what type of recipe were you using? Did you sift your powdered sugar??

chicanos2g1 Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 17

I used both butter and crisco in the recipe. I also sifted the sugar. I was wondering if it was because I used water instead of milk when I thinned the icing down.

thecakemaker Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 17

I used all shortening. I can't imagine that it would be having used water instead of milk. Some people use all water. I've used both water and milk.

Debbie

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 17

Maybe try mixing it a bit with your mixer to incorporate all the color and work the streaking out .. not sure if that'd work or not but it'd be worth a try.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 17

I have had this happen and I'm not sure what causes it either. I've wondered if my salt is completely dissolved in my liquid before I mix it in. I've also wondered if it is humidity. This may be a mystery that might never be solved.

Amy

thecakemaker Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 17

I think this topic has gone around before and we never quite figured out what the culprit was.

Debbie

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 17

I don't think it's the water, given what you are using and doing it may very well be the salt. I've had some problems when tinting my icing and I think it's been from the salt or not sifting the powered sugar.

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 10:52pm
post #10 of 17

About a month ago i had to make buttercream for my classes and had this happen to me.
I think is was the humidity that caused it

AShiana

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 3:49am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

I have had this happen and I'm not sure what causes it either. I've wondered if my salt is completely dissolved in my liquid before I mix it in. I've also wondered if it is humidity. This may be a mystery that might never be solved.

Amy

Bingo, it is either salt or the minerals in the water that cause this issue and sometimes a combination of both. If you are seeing white tiny lumps it is shortening that didn't mix in. If you see white spots or streaks, it is either minerals in the water or salt that caused it.
hugs Squirrelly Cakes

cakemommy Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 4:29am
post #12 of 17

That's what I thought. It's only happened a time or two so I've adjusted the salt in my recipe and haven't had it happen again. I just make sure it is completely dissolved before I add to the Crisco.

Amy

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 4:48am
post #13 of 17

Yes, some people use popcorn salt because it dissolves easier but if they have hard water or water with a lot of minerals in it, it will also cause streaking and sometimes the combination of both, makes it even worse. That is one of the reasons I use salted butter, so I don't have to worry about adding salt. One of those weird issues that comes up for some folks at some times. Funny thing, I never had any of these issues and then one day, instead of buying my Crisco in the tub like I usually do, I bought the 1 pound box. I ended up with the little white lumps which was the shortening not mixing in, in this case. I had found that for some reason, this box of Crisco was really dry, the shortening wasn't as creamy as usual so likely this is why it wouldn't mix in right. Anyway, haha, I finally knew the frustration, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 1:12pm
post #14 of 17

I believe it is the issue of water and the salt. I have made
TONS of frosting and had never had this problem. I recently moved to an area where we have well water. I never thought about it but all of a sudden... spots! The only thing different was the water. So it has to be.

Rose

chicanos2g1 Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 2:12pm
post #15 of 17

I think it may be my water. I made new batch o icing and thinned it down using milk instead of the water and I did not get the white streaking in the icing.

cakemommy Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 4:22pm
post #16 of 17

Hmmmmm. I use the filtered water from my refrigerator. Maybe it's time to change it you think.

Amy

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 4:48pm
post #17 of 17

Well, one lady actually has to buy distilled water by the case load, apparently her water is too hard and causes these issues and also colouring issues.
Funny thing, salt was used to set colours but I guess in combination with other things in water, it causes other issues.
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%