Help!!! Need Help With Gumpaste

Decorating By motherof2boys Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 12:42am by ceshell

motherof2boys Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a bulldozer cake for this Sunday and cant seem to get the gumpaste right. I bought the already made gumpaste and colored it but it seems to be too flexible to get it to form. I am trying to do the blade for the front of the bulldozer and need the gumpaste to bend a little on the top and bottom of the blade. I cant seem to get it to form...do I need to let it dry out a little bit first before I try to bend the sides??? Please help this is for my grandfathers 79th birthday and I really want this cake to make him smile!!!

5 replies
bourbs Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 6

I would form it over something such as a can or something that it can mold to and let it dry. That's what I do when I want something to curve.

I don't know about anyone else but I always use 50/50 gumpaste fondant and find it very easy to work with.

Good Luck
Marie

pattycakesnj Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:11am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbs

I would form it over something such as a can or something that it can mold to and let it dry. That's what I do when I want something to curve.

I don't know about anyone else but I always use 50/50 gumpaste fondant and find it very easy to work with.

Good Luck
Marie

same here, 50/50 mix

OhMyGanache Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:12am
post #4 of 6

I am a little confused by what you're asking.

If your gumpaste is too "loose" from adding too much coloring, you should knead in some cornstarch.

If the problem is that you are trying to do this free-form ... you'll never get it. You can create something to form the gumpaste over by folding up some aluminum foil into the shape you want and letting the gumpaste dry over that. You will have to let it dry for a while since the back side will not be getting any air circulation.

motherof2boys Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:28am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the help. I have it formed on something now but how long do you think it will take to dry. I was planning on putting the cake together on Sat.

ceshell Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:42am
post #6 of 6

If you did it in straight gumpaste, it will be dry by then, probably even by tomorrow depending on how thick it is and whether or not whatever you're drying on is porous (i.e. lets the air thru...like if it's made of wood). Put it in the oven with the oven light on (but then put a sticky note outside your oven to remind yourself NOT to turn the OVEN on!!) - helps create a dry environment for your piece. I have some castles and sheep drying in my oven right now icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%