Help With # Of Servings In Carved Cake Please??

Decorating By JodieF Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 1:20am by xstitcher

JodieF Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 17

I am making a bulldozer cake similar to this one for a birthday cake for the weekend:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1282523

I was going to bake a 12 inch square and cut it and stack it for the main body, and had planned to use RTK for the treads and the cab of the dozer. But, I need 20 servings.

Do you think I'll still have enough cake for 20 good size servings after I carve the shape of the bulldozer? I can make the treads from cake too if you think it would be better.

Sorry..just having trouble wrapping my mind around this. Thanks!

Jodie

16 replies
JodieF Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 17

Well, guess I'll just have to figure this out for myself! icon_lol.gif

Jodie

ceshell Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 17

LOL. I was trying to keep an eye on this so that I could learn the answer, but no luck! I know I'm stating the obvious, but I'd just start with the # of servings in the 12" cake and guesstimate from there, based on how much of the cake you think will need to be carved away.

Yeah, I'm a real help. icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

JodieF Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #4 of 17

Ceshell.....well, I decided what to do. This is for my boss, who is also my friend, AND the cake is for a 20 year old guy (her son) who's having his friends as part of his birthday party. Those guys are going to want more than a 1x2x4 inch slice of cake. I don't sell cakes, so price per serving doesn't matter in this scenario.
A 12 inch, 2 layer square would serve 60 (Earlene's) or 72 (Wilton). Cutting one in 1/2 and stacking would logically give me 30-36 wedding size servings. After some carving, I wouldn't think there would be enough cake for all those young guys! So, I'm cutting down on the size of the bulldozer. Instead of being 12 inches long, I'm cutting it down to 8 inches. But, I've baked a 1 layer 11x15 that I'll cover with "dirt" and I'll put the dozer on top.
I know she'll likely have too much cake that way, but I'm guessing they'll eat it and I won't have to worry about there not being enough cake.

School started this week, my brain is absolutely dead and that's the best idea I could come up with!!!

Jodie

ceshell Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #5 of 17

Honestly if you are concerned about serving sizes, your solution is the best way to go anyway. Even if someone had chimed in w/how many servings they got on their own carved cake...you'd never be certain that you didn't lose more cake than they did. A group of 20 year old guys...no such thing as too much cake anyway!!

xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:31am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Honestly if you are concerned about serving sizes, your solution is the best way to go anyway. Even if someone had chimed in w/how many servings they got on their own carved cake...you'd never be certain that you didn't lose more cake than they did. A group of 20 year old guys...no such thing as too much cake anyway!!

Totally agree with this especially the part about "A group of 20 year old guys...no such thing as too much cake anyway" icon_wink.gif

Makeitmemorable Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 17

Hi, I am sorry I got onto this thread so late.

They are very tricky to work out the sizing for. You are better to underestimate. People don't cut these cakes like otherones, some slices they make bigger and then some small base on what part they are cutting.

I you carve a cake and use the cut off pieces somewhere else on the cake, you are safe to assume that if feeds the same amount of people less about 10 slices.

...touch wood, I have never had a cake that has never fed the amount of people they needed but you still base it on your basic cake size unless you are doing something that you know if going to loose a lot of cake based on it's design. Generally people who choose these cakes are aware of this anyway. This is an example of a carved cake that does not serve too many people.
Hopefully you will know for next time.
LL

ceshell Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:11am
post #8 of 17

How many would you figure that cake serves, Makeitmemorable? I have a guess, I am wondering if I am in the ballpark icon_cool.gif.

Makeitmemorable Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:55am
post #9 of 17

Hi there,

This cake was an 11' x 7 cake but a lot was lost due to the carving. I would think this would feed - dessert slices about 10-12 people. What did you come up with?

cowboy.gif

ceshell Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:03am
post #10 of 17

I guessed 12!! thumbs_up.gifparty.gif

2-3 on the bottom, 1-2 for the stem, 1 for the very bottom of the glass, 2 for the middle of the glass, 3-4 for the top of the glass. detective.gif

ETA: whoops, actually I meant 2-3 for the top of the glass, so I guessed 11 icon_smile.gif

Makeitmemorable Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:15am
post #11 of 17

Well done !!! It really also depends on how they cut them. If they are being cut professionally, it helps!

Best wishes for your future carved cakes. If you need any other help, let me know.

BTW - I was looking at the cake you have as your picture a while ago I was so impressed by such a wonderful creation and then gutted to see it killed by a 'fat rat' - you poor thing icon_cry.gif - I showed my kids and they said 'oh mum, you would be really unhappy if that happened' - unhappy is not how I would have described it LOL icon_mad.gif , I am sure you weren't laughing though - this is a good site to put it on, we can ALL sympathise with you and imagine how you must have been feeling!

Take care

ceshell Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:26am
post #12 of 17

Thanks for your kind words! I was pretty icon_mad.gif when the fondant fell off but luckily it was just a practice cake I made for my 3-year-old daughter who at the time would have been just as happy with a cookie from the supermarket. And also fortunately I was able to re-ice it in plain old buttercream and repair Remy, so at least it was presentable to eat. It was a good learning experience, that's for sure. Better on that cake than on a cake that was for a big event, kwim?! I totally agree though: thank heavens for CC and my ability to share the disaster here. If you want a laugh, you can read the whole disaster story here http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=446943&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=remys&&start=0 icon_biggrin.gif

Makeitmemorable Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:11am
post #13 of 17

That story is just hilarious thanks for sharing icon_lol.gif - I have to say I have created some cakes and wondered and nearly not returned to the kitchen the next day for fear that they may no longer be standing - when I made the harbour bridge cake, I actually got my husband to go and check before I got out of bed - I was quite sure it was going to topple - thank goodness it survived!!!! icon_razz.gif

JodieF Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #14 of 17

Well, here's the cake....I'm told it was a huge hit.

Jodie
LL

ceshell Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 17

Cool! Love it! I can definitely see why you were concerned about the # servings from the tractor itself. I like that the bottom cake is white, like the board -your eye really just sees all the dirt it's scooping up. Fun!

JodieF Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #16 of 17

Thanks Ceshell....I'm just glad they were happy with it. The birthday boy is studying construction management in college. That's why he got bulldozer!

Jodie

xstitcher Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:20am
post #17 of 17

I think you did a great job on this Jodie and I agree with ceshell that it was a great choice to match the bottom layer with the board so that the truck stood out. Great job! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%