What Do You Prefer For Modeling?

Decorating By mandyloo Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm by mandyloo

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 6

I don't have any experience with making edible figurines, so I was wondering if you all could tell me what medium you prefer to work with? Candy clay, fondant, gumpaste, 50/50 fondant/gumpaste?

I'm planning a cake for next month that, for my set of skills, is rather ambitious..I haven't strayed too far from 8in rounds and 9x13s, and I'm going to try to make something along the lines of SBOG's Rainbow cat cake, http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1430242.html

for my nieces birthday, as she requested a rainbow cat cake. I'm going to read the sticky on stacking, but if anyone has any other pointers, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,

Good luck with the cake, really like the design!

When making animals like this, you can use a 50/50 mix of fondant to gumpaste. I also find that if you stick a piece of dry spaghetti through the body, leaving a bit poking through, it gives a nice support to your figurine and stops the head from rolling off.

Also a good tip for modelling - draw out some different sized small circles onto some greaseproof paper, a small one to represent arms and legs and larger ones for the body and head. This gives you a good point of reference when you're rolling out balls of paste for the legs and arms etc and ensures they are all of equal size.

You probably already know this, but the wired stars should be made from at least a 50/50 mix as plain fondant will be too soft. I also dip the tip of the wire in a bit of edible glue before threading the star onto the wire for some extra support.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #3 of 6

I use Satin Ice fondant with a little Tylose powder kneaded in. It is also helpful to make some edible glue. About 1/4 tsp Tylose to 1 Tbsp. warm water works well. When you first make the glue it will look funny and you'll think it's not right, but just leave it sit for a few minutes and you will get a nice clear edible glue. Use the glue to attach arms legs, ears, etc. It only takes the tiniest bit of glue. If you use too much your pieces will slide instead of stick together.

Good luck with your modeling and most of all have fun with it.

mandyloo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 6

thank you both so much. I'll post the pictures when I'm done. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 6

I hqave often used straight fondant when making small figures like thses.
That is such a great, interesting cake. And the request? How odd.
(Or is there a kids show that features that theme? I'd never know about iticon_smile.gif)

mandyloo Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 6

As far as I know, there isn't a kids show... my niece just happens to be obsessed with cats and kittens, and had one named Rainbow..finding that particular cake was such a delightful surprise. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%