Buttercream Craziness

Decorating By sweet-thing Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 4:06am by Bonavolonta

sweet-thing Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, do you prefer smbc or imbc? Why? What is the difference? I have always used powdered sugar and want to try one of these but don't know which. These don't crust, right?

Also, what does it do if you use salted butter?

So many questions! Thanks for your help. icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
manahigh Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:30am
post #2 of 10

I will give this a bump since I too am very interested in knowing about these two types of icing. I am trying to find something that my family will enjoy more than buttercream since they find it too sweet. I am concerned about using a non-crusting icing since that is what I am accustomed to using and also the stability of these icings since I do have to transport birthday cakes for 4 hrs. Can anyone help us out here? Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to give.

JanH Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:54am
post #3 of 10

Here's a link to different frostings with descriptions of each type:
(Also has handy frosting troubleshooting chart on last page.)

http://tinyurl.com/yh44gu

Everything you ever wanted to know about the meringue b/c's (and other frostings):
(This thread has recipes, opinions and more.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6011626-.html

HTH

sweet-thing Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #4 of 10

Thank you so much!!

JanH Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:01am
post #5 of 10

You're very welcome. icon_biggrin.gif

drakegore Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 10

i like smbc because you don't have to worry about egg saftety because you heat the egg whites to 160 (with IMBC the bowl absorbs much of the heat and the eggs most likely do not get to the needed temp). for most people this probably isn't a real issue but i bake for a ton of kids and need to be real sure.

i also think smbc is easier (easier even than the powdered sugar recipes) than imbc.

smbc tastes like heaven icon_smile.gif

they do not crust.

i recommend unsalted butter. salted butter really throws off the taste. i made it once with salted butter and tossed the whole thing, bleh. that said, i know there are people who like it with salted butter icon_smile.gif.

diane

manahigh Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 10

Wow this is so great! I knew this info had to be out there on CC somewhere. I will have alot of fun experimenting with these new recipes. Thanks Jan, what would we do without you? Have a super day!

JanH Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:42am
post #8 of 10

You're very welcome, manahigh. icon_biggrin.gif

RachelPaige Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:52am
post #9 of 10

Is it okay to cover smbc or imbc with fondant?

Bonavolonta Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:06am
post #10 of 10

I LOVE SMBC! I was scared to try it for a while, but once I did I was hooked. It really is easy. I use it under fondant with no problems. The only time I had it not work for me was when I got a little yolk in my whites. They refused to whip and I had to start over. I should have know better. Check out this video. It's how I learned.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%