Dishwasher Safe?

Decorating By agentdorkfish Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 8:50pm by agentdorkfish

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 7

A family friend gave me lots of pans and other things today! Without researching any prices, I would guess it would value close to $200 worth.

I am so thankful. All I have to do is clean it up. They have been strictly in storage for years. They're really dirty and smell (she's a heavy smoker) but other than that, they're in perfect shape. I plan on hosing them off outside first then hand washing inside. Would it be safe to put them in the dishwasher so I can use the sterilize option?

Not sure if it's an important note, but they're Wilton brand.

6 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 7

Normally I don't put my pans in the dishwasher. But I would make an exception in this case. Nice of her to give you the pans but sometimes free isn't worth it. If they clean up well good for you. If not your not out anything except a little time and soap.

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 7

My uncle bought some pans at a garage sale, and I did put them in the dishwasher. They discolored some, but they still work well. If you don't mind them not being shiney, go for it!

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 7

I probably wouldn't risk the dishwasher and if they are that bad are you gonna be happy with your other dishes being washed in there afterwards. I'd use a steam cleaner ( if you don't have one one of your friends is bound to ) on them for sterilisation then give them a good old scrub.
Just a suggestion icon_wink.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 7

I'd start with a long soak in a vinegar / water mix to cut grease, oil and deodorize (heavy on the vinegar)

then into the dishwasher (which probably will discolor them -- but that only affects "pretty" and not function. they'll still work just fine. After all, i'm not hanging my pans on the wall for decoration! and my pots and pans do look lovingly used)

then, if concerned about residue in dishwasher -- just run it empty for one cycle (with soap of course) --- like running the washer to clean it after using it to dye fabric (does anyone do that any more?) or to clear it out of bleach residue before putting in delicate colors.

agentdorkfish Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:22am
post #6 of 7

I spread out everything this evening and hosed it down really well. They're not as bad as I first thought. A good cleaning and they'll be good to go. I'm going to put them in the dishwasher, though. Just to make sure. I don't care if they discolor. Like Doug said, I won't be hanging them up for decoration! icon_smile.gif

Thanks, everyone!

agentdorkfish Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 7

I had great success with the pans! They're nearly perfect, even with being washed in the dishwasher! The only pans that did a color change on me were the mini muffin pans. I'm so pleased!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%