Bulging Issue Help!

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm by DianeLM

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 2

OK,
I am working on this darn cake and decided to make the lower half a dummy. Well I have it iced in BC, covered in fondant and added a bunch of fondant embelishments and now I am getting a big bulge where the cake meets the dummy. It is a round cake (9") 4 layers sitting on a 5" round dummy. I have pressed the bulge in as best I can and have now put it in the fridge in hopes that the BC will firm back up (i made my BC alot stiffer than usual so the fondant would not sag).

What I did for information sake
I am using the Dk chocolate WASC cake
It was frozen and all layers were stacked in the freezer. '
They were thawed then allowed to sit unwrapped for excess moisture to escape.
I have a board between the dummy and the base layer but I forgot to put additional boards between layers 2 and 3.
I stacked them, used my small level to ensure they were level and crumb coated it and allowed it to sit for about and hour to settle and crust.
I Wrapped it in fondant because of the hieght I was going to cover.
After wrapping it I used my smoothers to press it well to the cake and took any excess BC out through the seam before I closed it up.
At this point all was well. I then added the embelishments and now I have the bulge.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I can do at this point?

1 reply
DianeLM Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 2

Do I understand correctly? All together, this tower is about 14 inches high? So you wrapped a piece of fondant roughly 14x29 around the tower?

If this is correct, it sounds like the fondant is collapsing under it's own weight.

I had this happen recently when I covered the sides of cake that measured 10 inches high by 26 inches long on each of 2 sides. No dummy involved (except the decorator). After about an hour, both sides of the cake started to look less like a truck and more like a sharpei. And I attached my fondant to stiff ganache!

It sounds like the cake is giving way, but the dummy is holding for the moment. I fear the fondant on the dummy may begin to wrinkle before long. The fact that there is no support in the cake layers isn't going to help matters.

The only solution I can think of at the moment is to remove the fondant, place the appropriate support in the cake layers, then place the fondant on in two pieces, crosswise (7x29), one on top of the other.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I feel ya. Hope you find a solution soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%